Office 2007 compatibility patch/upgrade

osben 11:48 29 Aug 08

Hi
I am running MS XP and office XP pro 2002 sp3. I have kept the office suite up to date with automatic updates.

I am goint to start receiving some emailed documents in VSTO (Visual Studio Tools) which I understood will only be accessable with 2003 Office and upwards.

Yesterday I downloaded and installed the Microsoft update patch which I understand will enable me to open and use Office 2007 documents.

Today I get downloaded to my computer, ready for installation various security updates such as the
MS Office compatability service pack 1 and
six security updates for MS Office system 2007

Since A) I am using Office sp3, why do I need an SP1 update and
B) Why do I need to update my system with Office 2007 securiy updates

I would also like to know if using the compatability update which I installed yesyerday is going to allow m to work with VSTO documents when they come in.

Can anyone out there help me please.

Regards

Ditch999 16:27 29 Aug 08

A/ The SP1 update is for the 2007 compatibility pack not for your Office XP Pro.

B/ The updates are to close holes in 2007 files which may contain a virus. If you can open a 2007 file then you could execute the malicious code contained in it. The updates prevent that.

I dont know if you will be able to work with the VSTO files as you will be using the Office XP version and they may have been compiled using VS 2008.
I know there are always compatibility problems opening files with an older version than the one they were made with.

Ditch999 16:40 29 Aug 08

Or download the 2005 Express version for free click here

osben 07:28 30 Aug 08

Hi

Thanks for your reply Ditch999

So using the updates will not mess my office 2002 up, especially the SP1 security update I mentioned??

I try the 2005 Express version to see if it helps

Regards

Ditch999 12:54 30 Aug 08

Those updates should not mess up Office 2002.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac