Office 2003 Update - won't

VoG II 23:21 31 Mar 04

When I try I get this message

Error! Unable to check for updates on this computer Help

The Office Update site is unable to check for updates on this computer. This may be happening because of one of the following reasons:

You do not have administrative privileges for this computer.

There is a network problem and the detection catalog used by the Office Update site failed to download. Go back to the Downloads home page and try running detection again.

Windows Installer patch files (.MSP files) from previously applied Office updates are missing from the \Windows\Installer hidden directory on your computer. MSP files are stored on your computer after update installation completes because they need to be referenced for future update operations. If the files are missing you will not be able to apply Office updates. You may also be unable to uninstall Office products as a result of the same problem. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services for assistance.

You installed Office updates in the past and then upgraded from Windows Installer version 1.0 to Windows Installer version 1.1. For more information see the KB article Windows Installer May Prompt for Install Source if Unavailable.

None of the above conditions are true. Any ideas?

woodchip 23:26 31 Mar 04

Try reinstallin Office and then try update

Djohn 23:49 31 Mar 04

Can't help with the error message you have VoG but have just tried the update site for Office 2003 and 4 updates came through successfully. :o(

User-312386 08:34 01 Apr 04

do an office repair

pop the office disc in and it will ask if you want to uninstall or repair

sattman 08:42 01 Apr 04

Do you need updates

To compare your version go MS Word,Help, about.

VoG II 08:45 01 Apr 04

Don't know if I need updates - the progress bar gets to 40% then the message above.

Thanks for replies. Will try repair/reinstall later on and let you know.

VoG II 15:09 01 Apr 04

Tried inserting the Office CD - setup did not run but the contents opened in Windows Explorer. Located and double-clicked Setup.exe - "Not a valid Windows Installer". What?

Started Word, Help/Detect and Repair. "Preparing to install" ...... "Not a valid Windows Installer". Doh!

Similar messages from Add&Remove programs. Eek!

System Restore back a week to when I know all was well - no difference! Grr!

Ended up having to use the Windows Install Cleanup click here then reinstalled Office, followed by 4 updates. :o)

By the way, Windows Install Cleanup is not for the faint of heart!

sattman 20:57 01 Apr 04

So tell us all VoG, Do you now have an update?

VoG II 20:58 01 Apr 04

Yes, I said I got four.

woodchip 22:30 01 Apr 04

I thought it would need the clean

woodchip 22:31 01 Apr 04

PS been there done that. But not with MS Office

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…