Office 2003 student edition greyed out buttons

Mikel51 16:12 12 Nov 06

I have office 2003 student and it worked fine then suddenly stopped. The licence says it is ok to use it on 3 machines. It is working well on machine 1 but now on my machine it has lost most of the buttons - they are greyed out. I have reloaded it; searched the microsoft site; searched the web for greyed out buttons but no luck.
Any ideas?
Your help will be much appreciated.

Terry Brown 16:30 12 Nov 06

I believe that that a student license is only valid for a certain period (1-2 or 3 years). It could be that the license has expired. If it is under a school (or college) license, contact them.
Terry

Mikel51 17:01 12 Nov 06

This is a new copy

Terry Brown 17:08 12 Nov 06

I have had a look on the Microsoft site, and unless I am mistaken, it can be installed 3 times, but only used on one machine at a time.
I am assuming you bought the software for home use (One user)and that it is an OEM product
i.e. Microsoft has registered the software for the configuration of machine 1, and when machine two is started it brings up a license block.
Terry

bazb 17:28 12 Nov 06

Hi Mike

have you tried doing a repair via add and remove
programs.

Student edition of Office 2003 can be installed on up to 3 machines in the same household.

Eric10 17:34 12 Nov 06

Have you activated your your second installation? click here. If not activated it will change to limited functionality after a number of uses.

Mikel51 18:04 12 Nov 06

OK so far thanks for ideas- activation could be the problem but the activate button in HELP will not go anywhere! aaaaagh! Any more ideas??
And below is the detail from Microsoft website.
Licensing and Compatibility
Q. How many activations/installations will be allowed for each license of the Office Student and Teacher Edition 2003?
A. You can install Office Student and Teacher Edition 2003 on up to three computers in your home without having to buy extra licenses. Get software for the entire family and save money.
I am legal here and I have paid the full price.

Woolwell 20:23 12 Nov 06

I have Student and Teacher Edition of Office 2003 on a desktop and laptop at home with no problems. Cannot recall if I had to activate it on both systems.

This may be worthwhile - open Word and under Help about Word - click on disabled items. It will probably will be or should be blank. If anything is disabled then you need to investigate why.

Otherwise put your office disc in the system and do a repair or re-install.

Steve- 21:28 12 Nov 06

Try this fix,

click here

It worked on my daughters Laptop that had a limited time version of Ofice 2003 installed from new.

Mikel51 23:44 12 Nov 06

OK - the help disabled items - nothing there. Have done a reload and repair - no go.
The steve fix - looks promising but too late to try now.
Thanks for your help so far. Will try again tomorrow
....and all I wanted to do was type a letter?
Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced