Office 2003 Compatibility

Jarvo 20:05 09 Dec 03

Hi

I am considering upgrading to office 2003 and have a number of questions for any one who is currently using it. I am currently studying for a HND in computing at university and all work submited in access and excel has to be fully compatible with office 2000 formats, I will lose marks if formating changes or macros will not run. I am also producing a number of advanced spreadsheets for work that have to run on office 97-XP, can you still write macros in VBA in office 2003 or has it gone VBA.NET exclusive.

If anyone has had compatability experiance with office 2003 across 97-XP versions I would be greatfull for your comments.

many thanks in advance

Jarvo

recap 20:11 09 Dec 03

You should be able to save the work in 2003 to a previous version as all MS programs are backward compatable. When going to save select the version of the program that you require in the `save as type` box.

As for the VBA.NET part I am not sure.

Jarvo 20:25 09 Dec 03

thanks for your reply I sould have said that I have read the microsoft blurb/hype but I am left wondering if after saving you may have to do a little re editing of formats ect or is it realy a pain free save as procedure as sugested by MS.
As for VBA all microsoft push at the moment is .net and maybe I am not looking in the correct areas but I canot seem to find any info on backward compatibility

Jarvo

recap 20:31 09 Dec 03

Appendix E: Saving Workbooks in Microsoft Excel 5.0 or Excel 95 Format

Microsoft Excel 2003 can save workbooks in previous formats, though not all Excel 2003 features are supported in previous versions. Because of changes to the Excel file format, saving an Excel 2003 workbook in a previous version can result in lost data and lost or changed formatting. This section describes features which are not fully supported in Excel 5.0 or Excel 95. Note that these features are in addition to features described in Appendices B and C.

Extracted from: click here

Hope that helps?

recap 20:34 09 Dec 03

Also just found this: Should I Convert My VBA Code to Visual Basic .NET?

click here for further details.

Jarvo 20:50 09 Dec 03

Thanks sometimes you just cant find things for looking dose not look all that bad in excel as for access and VBA I will keep looking

Many thanks

Jarvo

VoG II 20:57 09 Dec 03

You can code quite happily in VBA in Excel 2003 and the code runs on Excel 97. Just don't try anything too fancy!

Jarvo 21:32 09 Dec 03

Many thanks for your info still have a bit of reading to do before I shell out my hard earned cash! Would be intrested to here from anyone using access 2003, sometimes its nice to have a simple dont wory it works ok before you make the jump.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos