Office 2000pro MS Office.ink Disabled ?

Derek 06:01 18 Sep 03

XP pro and Office 2000 pro. Seems to be working Ok but on boot up I get a splash screen which says "Windows cannot open this file: Microsoft Office.Ink.Disabled. To open this file, Windows needs to know what file ceated it ....etc"

I've uninstalled it and reinstalled it but it still appears. Help please.

temp003 07:52 18 Sep 03

I think the file is Microsoft Office.LNK (not .ink) which is a shortcut to the file OSA9.exe (for Office 2000).

Usually after you install MS Office, it puts this shortcut into the Startup folder (for all users in XP), so that OSA9.exe runs in the background on startup. The idea is that you can start Office applications faster. Personally I turn it off because it's a resource hogger.

It may be that the path to the target of the shortcut is invalid, giving your the error message. However, the error message saying it is disabled may suggest something else.

Log on as Administrator. Right click the Start button. Select "Open All Users". Double click Programs, then double click Startup. See if you see the shortcut icon called "Microsoft Office". If you see it, and if you don't want it at startup, delete the icon. This will remove it at startup, and the error message. This is probably the easiest way out.

If you want to keep it, first verify the path to OSA9.exe. Normally it should be C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE.

Then go back to the Startup folder, right click the "Microsoft Office" icon, select Properties. Under the Shortcut tab, check the path in the "target box". It should be "C:\Program Files\...\OSA9.EXE" (with the quotation marks).

If the path in the target box is wrong, correct it. Click OK.

If the path is correct, but you still get the error message, post back.

Derek 08:29 18 Sep 03

I did what you said and found that in Start-up I had the following;
MS Office.ink 2kb Disable Startup File.

I rightly or wrongly deleted this and the offending splash screen does not appear. Again my thanks for your kind support.

DM.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…