OEM versions

suburban train 00:00 13 Feb 03

what does OEM i know ive seen it on this forum before but i cant seem to find it. and what benefits do we get from it.

cheers

User-312386 00:02 13 Feb 03

OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer and is a company that uses product components from one or more other companies to build an item that it sells under its own company name and brand.

They can also therefore tailor it to it's own target audience or needs - some OEM versions therefore may not offer all the functionality of a full-blown "original" version.

It's a bit like buying from a major outlet or a supermarket's own brand...it's probably the same thing, but hard to tell.

Djohn 00:07 13 Feb 03

(Original equipment manufacturer). If applied to software, then usually means same disk but without the retail package.

When applied to Hardware, means pretty much the same, but also sometimes only comes with basic software.

Djohn 00:09 13 Feb 03

madboy33™, sorry there were no replies when I started typing 30min. ago! :o)

DieSse 00:11 13 Feb 03

Do a search on the site - put OEM into the search box, tick "Search titles and all postings" - and read away - there's 40 threads that refer to it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…