OEM AND upgrade software and new Mobo

gee drive 19:26 22 Dec 06

My son's PC had a pirate win 2000 on it, so we wiped it and installed an OEM winXP on it. A couple of months later it totaly died.
We have a new mobo and CPU. I imagine that the OEM software wont register with the new mobo.

As it happens, I have an upgrade copy of XPhome.
Is there a way that I can use this to make it register as a full fat XPhome?

thms 19:39 22 Dec 06

If your OEM is genuine copy istall it when you come to activate it will probably tell you it has failed.
You will be given a number to call.
Phone them explaining that you have had to change the motherboard. You will be asked for your product key.

Arnie 19:43 22 Dec 06

If you can buy a cheap copy of Win98 or Me, this should do the trick.
These need to be full retail versions.

During the install, you will be asked to insert one of the above copies for verification to continue.

User-312386 19:45 22 Dec 06

do as thms has said

M$ are usually sympathetic

Arnie 19:45 22 Dec 06

advice may be the easy way out

Totally-braindead 19:50 22 Dec 06

thms advice is good. All it should take is an explanation to them that the motherboard died after only a few months and they will unlock it.

woodchip 19:56 22 Dec 06

Think you will find it works just as a Full XP cd but no support. Just activate it, if they say it's for another comp tell them it's a new mobo

ventanas 20:39 22 Dec 06

I don't think Microsoft will be sympathetic with this one. OK you were caught out with the Win 2k installation, but you then admit that you have installed an OEM version of XP, obviously not suppled with the system. This is illegal and Microsoft would not be very pleased if you told them. You have no option other than to buy a full retail copy of XP, regardless of whether the illegal OEM copy you have installed will work or not. How many times is it necessary to explain the rules about OEM versions. Its a lot simpler now than it used to be.

Zeppelyn 21:06 22 Dec 06

Have had this very same problem with an OEM copy.In my experience I have never had a problem with Microsoft. They will activate, all they ensure is that its on one machine only.

gee drive 11:47 23 Dec 06

Ha! It went through. No questions. I guess its the luck of the draw.

ventanas seems to get off on feel superior. A forum demon with anger issues. Yes I knew what OEM meant before I bought it. That doesn't mean there aren't negociations to be had.

User-312386 16:43 23 Dec 06

Nice one mate

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…