OEM Software - 2 buy or not 2 buy that is the qstn

richardjb 14:41 26 Mar 04

I want to buy some software but have noticed that there OEM versions and Non OEM versions.

What is the difference and what are the pros/cons in buying either.

Megatyte 14:47 26 Mar 04
  SEASHANTY 14:59 26 Mar 04

Software. The OEM version is usually just the disc in a plastic or white paper envelope. Usually no instructions and no manual. Quite definitely - no box or extras. In many cases tho' now the manual is contained on the actual disc - you just have to print it out. Nero used to come with the manual on the disc. Dunno if it still does. Roxio used to give you the manual in a detailed book form on their retail versions.

ventanas 15:01 26 Mar 04

Had a long meeting with some people from FAST yesterday, also present someone who was introduced as a software licencing expert. There was quite a long discussion about OEM Software, and some unexpected opinions given by those who know.

The outcome was (please remember these are the opinions of FAST and are not mine, so please don't rant at me.)

You can only legally buy OEM software if you also buy, at the same time, hardware to which the OEM product is tied. Until recently this would mean a complete computer, but now a motherboard or hardrive is acceptable. However should that m/b or drive ever fail you must dispose of the OEM product that you bought, as you no longer have the hardware to which it is tied. Same applies to graphics and sound cards

You can only sell Microsoft OEM products and associate hardware if you are an accredited Microsoft system builder.

An example is the overclockers uk site which sells a lot of OEM stuff. The opinion of FAST and their expert. Definitely illegal.

As I've said I'm only repeating the opinions of others, but they are the ones who should lnow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…