OEM or Retail Athlon XP?

Gaz W 23:39 24 Jun 03

I have the choice between buying the AMD Athlon XP 2600+ OEM, which doesn't come with a warranty or fan, for £75.20, or the same CPU only the retail version, with a heatsink & fan and a 3 year warranty for £79.90. With the first option I would have to buy a fan costing at least £15.

This might sound like a stupid question, but which one should I get? I am thinking about the quality of the fan/heatsink, but this might not matter if there is a 3 year warranty.

Any help appreciated.

Djohn 23:47 24 Jun 03

Under those circumstances, the retail version wins hands down! If the fan/heatsink is part of the package, then it will be an approved one and you need not worry about the quality. Regards. j.

spend a little extra and go for the warranty. Regardless of how reputable the seller is, there is always a chance of bad hardware, regardless of where it comes from.

Gaz W 23:50 24 Jun 03

Thanks for the quick responses. Looks like I'll be going for the Retail version then. It actually saves me money because I don't have to buy a separate fan. I suppose if anything did go wrong after the warranty I could simply replace it with a different fan anyway, but I will probably have upgraded again by then!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…