OEM or Retail ?????

rupie 22:56 04 Oct 04

I am building my next pc and so need a copy of xp to put on it. I have seen many different versions on sale. This includes the full retail version from Microsoft to an OEM version for much less. normally the OEM version comes with a pc so if sold seperatly (and much cheaper) what is the difference and who is my warrenty support with ?

woodchip 23:00 04 Oct 04

You can get OEM. with new MOBO etc as it's new computer it is just the same as retail version

MAJ 23:08 04 Oct 04

The difference is that the OEM version doesn't come with Microsoft support. The OEM version dies with the PC it's installed on, it can't be transferred to another PC.

woodchip 23:13 04 Oct 04

It can be put on another Computer after three months, as they have to delete the records Data Protection act.

MAJ 23:30 04 Oct 04

That's a useful bit of info, woodchip. I didn't know that. :)

GibsonSt19 10:26 05 Oct 04

That does seem interesting. It's not that I don't trust you, but would you have a link to anywhere 'oficial', where I could find this in writing?

GibsonSt19 10:37 05 Oct 04

Official even :D

spuds 10:42 05 Oct 04

Duplicate post running click here

pjwheeldon 10:44 05 Oct 04

Are you sure about that? Data protection allows for customer/client information, which would include registration of software. Doubt we would be too impressed if our insurers had to delete our policy information 3 months after taking out cover, or banks wiped your account 3 months after setting up.

Also, wonder if registration actually takes place in the UK, or on microsoft.com. If so UK data protection laws would not apply anyway.

and finally, if I understand it correctly, the registration of XP takes a "fingerprint" of your PC hardware set-up and logs this against your registration code. No personal info needs to be recorded therefore.

spuds 11:09 05 Oct 04

The activation code doesn't come under the Data Protection Act as it is not a living human being.Microsoft would have no records of named people for their activation process as it is just a set of numbers and characters, so woodchips deletion reference would have no bearing or implications on the Act.

woodchip 12:09 05 Oct 04

From another PCA member bto me. Mail some time ago.

Yep! Microsoft's list. It was something to do with complete domination of the PC market. At first Microsoft where intent on making all XP programs tied to one machine for life but because of the public outrage they had to soften their stance and limit it to a set number of upgrades within a set period of time and a complete wipe of the slate after 90 days.

If you attempt to activate on another machine within the 90 day period then it will be recognised and refused but after 90 days you can install on a second PC, then 90 days later another one as well, all will activate and work. It's been well discussed in several forums, even with Microsoft people themselves and they will admit it, saying that the main reason for activation was to stop the wholesale copying of the O/S for selling on to other people.

Leo49 knows all about this and has mentioned it several times in the forum but if FE sees the thread he tends to lock it or delete it. I don't know why he does this though because it's not advertising an illegal method of copying but letting others know of a perfectly legal "Loophole". Yes the licence law says one O/S one PC but Microsoft where forced by the US government to include this loophole and it seems strange that we are not allowed to talk about it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…