OEM and licence

Diemmess 18:02 13 Feb 07

In the past have used various versions of Windows, currently an OEM of 2000 Pro.

Considering a first Laptop and in the meantime have ignored XP and now Vista.

I find I can buy a laptop without OS pre-loaded or for roughly £50 have XP or Vista preloaded.

I can also add purchase of an OEM version for about the same again.

The details I can discuss with the firm, but in principal can I use an OEM purchase on my old faithful PC as well?

Diemmess 18:04 13 Feb 07

tut tut tut - "principle"

Input Overload 18:12 13 Feb 07

Yes you can.

Totally-braindead 19:08 13 Feb 07

If you are talking about installing windows OEM on a PC that has already had an OS on it the answer is;
Yes you can if you format anything that was on it before but it is against the OEM license rules which states it must be installed on a new PC. But it would install and it would work and you would be able to get all the updates no problem at all.
If you mean can you use the Windows OEM that you buy for the laptop on your old PC as well using the same licence number then it would install but it probably wouldn't update as theres already a computer using that licence number.
If it did fail there would be an annoying nag screen for about a minute telling you its not a legal copy of windows and I think I'm right in saying it would still run but of course no more updates for that PC.

Diemmess 19:29 13 Feb 07

Have old faithfull PC - rebuilt several times.
If I were to use the new laptop installation disks on that PC, it would be on a newly formatted HD.

I thought a licence (for XP anyway) allowed for a PC as well as a laptop, provided they were not networked.
Are you saying the new system could not be activated on both computers?

Totally-braindead 19:34 13 Feb 07

No I'm afraid thats incorrect. My understanding of the matter is one PC one licence. Regardless of whether one is a laptop and one is a desktop it makes no difference.
You cannot install one licence on 2 PCs.

Diemmess 16:59 14 Feb 07

Showing what a sheltered life I lead....
..Checked MS phone this morning and an Asiatic lady seemed to say.
"One licence = One computer" (at any one time).

Silly me to assume the glory days of earlier versions still apply!

A parallel thread - click here

wee eddie 22:18 14 Feb 07

You may have been mixing up the Windows Policy with the M$ Office Policy.

You can run a single copy of M$ Office on one Desktop and one laptop registered to the same owner

Diemmess 09:15 15 Feb 07

Thanks. I have been doing just that!

silverous 09:17 15 Feb 07

I wish someone would clear up the OEM situation once and for all.

When I purchased Vista OEM recently it said it had to be purchased alongside a "non-peripheral" item - I purchased a new primary hard disk for my PC so I took that to be ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5