oem installs

rsturbo 00:20 08 Nov 05

i want to know how oem installers install the same installation settings on multiple computers without having to choose each option manually. do they just create a boot floppy with all their regular settings ready for windows to install (text input, region settings, user details etc.)

thanks for any help

Diodorus Siculus 06:53 08 Nov 05

Do you mean multiple PCs of the same configuration? If so, a simple case of disk cloning.

IF you mean different types of PC, it is part of the OEM installation kit (With Win2k at least) that will allow a user to pre-set these options as I understand it.

PaulB2005 08:36 08 Nov 05

You an make your own auto installing copy of Windows (for use on one PC though)..

It's called an Unattended Installation click here

You make a file that contains all the settings you wish you use and when you run the CD it'll run straight the way through installation using the settings you put in the file.

I recommend using CD-RW for this as it can take a few goes to get a CD running well.

I use it for my test PC which gets regularly trashed and i can have it reinstalled in 30 minutes without having to mess about setting up the keyboards etc. As i have included the CD Key in the file i can only use the CD on that PC but if you leave the CD Key out of the file then it'll prompt you each time.

Apparently there is a way to do it with the script file on a floppy but i couldn't get it to work. Also my CD always prompts me by asking if i want Automatic Updates on or off even through i set it to On in the file. I need to tweak the CD a bit more but haven't the time.

Alternatively you can use Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image to clone a PC or create an image of a PC to "roll out" to systems with the same build. The personal version only allows use on one PC and the commercial versions can be quiet expensive.

rsturbo 15:00 17 Dec 05

just the job :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…