OEM im slightly confused...

Ade_1 21:02 02 Jan 06

Hi, I am looking to build a computer in near future but i am confused because you can buy a retail box of OS or an OEM, what is the difference and what is better to go for? I feel a little in the dark about this subject as i cant get my head round it. So it would be great if you could explain to me what the differnece etc is thanks.
Thanks in advance
Aidan

Strawballs 21:13 02 Jan 06

Retail License:

Excerpt:
4. TRANSFER-Internal. You may move the Product to a different Workstation Computer.

OEM License:

Excerpt:
Software as a Component of the Computer - Transfer. THIS LICENSE MAY NOT BE SHARED, TRANSFERRED TO OR USED CONCURRENTLY ON DIFFERENT COMPUTERS. The SOFTWARE is licensed with the COMPUTER as a single integrated product and may only be used with the COMPUTER.

Ade_1 21:14 02 Jan 06

so therefore would be better to just buy the retail version rather than the OEM?

stalion 21:17 02 Jan 06

better to buy the retail version if you have problems with your pc you can also use it for repair

Ade_1 21:18 02 Jan 06

ok thanks for advice :)

Strawballs 21:19 02 Jan 06

With a retail you can go to Microsoft if you have problems, with OEM you will get no joy from them.

Zeppelyn 21:20 02 Jan 06

The key word in the OEM license is concurrent, as long as it is only installed on the machine you build then Microsoft are happy to activate. I transferred an OEM license over the phone with them the other day. Saying that if you can afford the retail box then thats less hassle. I always prefer to spend on hardware.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…