OEM Hardware

wotbus@ 14:18 20 Jan 06

I was just about to order a couple of HDD's when I noticed they are sold "version bulk" which over here I think means OEM! What are the implications of buying this type of hardware (I am aware of OEM software) - no cables/drivers/install CD etc?

rmcqua 14:25 20 Jan 06

Yes, that's what I have experienced when buying this kind of product - no cables/connectors and no software (though you wouldn't expect that with HDDs). Otherwise full spec. devices.

Simsy 14:29 20 Jan 06

as usual...

but in general terms it means as you suggest. For a HDD I wouldn't expect fitting screws, or a pretty box. If it's an item that needs a driver I think I'd expect that though?

Something else to consider... there might be a different, (ie shorter), warranty period. I seem to recall this being discussed in a thread a while back.

No doubt others, better informed, will contribute!

By the way.. where is "over here"? Might make a difference to responses!

Regards,

Simsy

wotbus@ 14:32 20 Jan 06

Sorry - over here is France. Just realised we don't have members profiles on this forum. Thanks for the posts.

spuds 16:40 20 Jan 06

Check the warranties. Even for the same product, some may have one, and others may have three years, depending how and where they are sold.

Stuartli 16:59 20 Jan 06

Buying OEM items usually means saving a fair bit of money as you are most likely replacing an existing component or peripheral; no point in paying for fancy retail packaging or unwanted software.

If you look at the Western Digital warranty terms for its retail and OEM hard drives (the terms and conditions were changed about 15 months ago), some of the OEM drives actually come with superior warranties...:-)

I've had two WD hard drives over the past few years and always bought drives with the model number ending in JB as this signifies a three year warranty.

It did mean that I got a 6OGB drive last time instead of an 80GB one year warranty model, but felt it was worth the additional safeguard.

Ironically, a fortnight later I could have had the 80GB JB version for the same price...:-(

ade.h 17:05 20 Jan 06

Agree with Stuartli about the unique case of WD. I appreiate the extra warranty.

However, it always peeves me that online retailers tend to sell only OEM hard-disks. Those of you who have been around here a few years may remember the change of policy that Dabs instigated regarding its descriptions and labelling of OEM HDDS. The problem was that there were no indications next to each product! I had to bring the issue to Trading Standards. It upheld my complaint and issued a warning.

How exactly is a home PC owner supposed to fit a new HDD if there are no supplied screws and cables? Not eveyone has such sundries lying around.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…