OEM effect.

Gaz 25 23:57 10 Jan 03
  Gaz 25 23:57 10 Jan 03

I am building my own computers and selling them now, how do I do what all the OEM's do where when you switch on it comes up with the setup information. Remeber I have to get a desktop to install the files for the mobo and extras.

How do I do it?

Sir Radfordin™ 00:00 11 Jan 03

Which bit are you talking about?

Are you talking about the BIOS screen that often hides the POST tests? If so its not easy and I doubt its worth it.

If not post back giving a better idea of what you want to achieve.

Just re-read it, are you talking about the first time you turn on a new PC you have to continue the install of the OS to get the PC set up? If so think this is something that 'can' be obtained from MS but I don't know how available it is.

Gaz 25 00:09 11 Jan 03

Yes the bottom bit is it! I want to get a desktop and install the drivers and software and then make it product activate and register customers copy. Just like when you have got a new computer and it asks the details.

Sir Radfordin™ 00:15 11 Jan 03

Try this link

click here

Quiller. 00:19 11 Jan 03

What you need is an oem boot disk. These are as rare as hens teeth.

What it does is this.

You insert floppy and windows c\d for an unformatted new system.

Switch on and it reads from floppy automatically. It then format's the drive and asks you to take out the floppy. Then it reboots and loads windows files in dos. Then restarts and loads all windows files. When all is done it gives the operator the option to load all drivers.

This leave the system with an operating system installed, but a windows code must be installed by buyer before the machine will function.

The process is amazing. All you have to do is insert a floppy and a windows disk, then boot up. The only thing you have to do in the process is to eject the floppy. The rest is automatic.

I had, still have, a 95 oem boot disk. I was offered £200 for it many years ago from a computer shop. I will not part with it. It has got me out of more trouble than I care to mention.

In those days microshaft only issued those floppy disks to very large manufacturers.

Do not know what the position of them are now?

Hope this helps to the back ground.

Quiller. 00:23 11 Jan 03

Flipping heck Sir Radfordin™ things have moved on since my 95 oem disk.

Gaz 25 00:24 11 Jan 03

Thanks, we seam to be getting somewhere now!

Yes, it sounds just like bsod is saying, anyone know what pos they are in?

But thanks Sir Radfordin™ for the link.

Sir Radfordin™ 00:26 11 Jan 03

What you describe is something along the lines of a silent install, something I think you can still do without too many problems.

Not having come to computing till Win95 was pretty much on its way out this sin't something I was really aware off!

Gaz 25 00:28 11 Jan 03

How will I do it if on the file from Microsoft that Sir Radfordin™ gave me it says:- NOTE: The preinstallation instructions and tools referenced in this document and in the online Microsoft® Windows® XP OEM Preinstallation Kit User’s Guide are intended for use by OEM System Builders only and may not be disclosed or distributed to end users.

?

Gaz 25 00:29 11 Jan 03

How do I get hold of a OPK if Microsoft will not give me one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…