OEM DVD drivers? (LG GSA-4167b)

Danoh 12:17 09 Mar 06

OEM DVD drive does not come with any software including drivers, and there are none to be found on LG's web site.

Is there any benefit to getting drivers different from those bundled with XP (SP2)?

My intent is to replace my CD-RW drive (master), leaving the existing DVD reader drive as slave.

I already have Nero s/w installed. So presumably, apart from checking the master/cable-select jumper pins (no diagram available!), its a straight swap and re-cable?

paddy75 12:20 09 Mar 06

A Straight swap will be fine,don't need drivers as they will automatically be loaded by windows when you start up.Paddy

pj123 13:04 09 Mar 06

As paddy75 says the drive itself doesn't need drivers. The only software needed is burning software and as you have Nero installed (providing it supports DVD) you should have no problem. What version of Nero do you have?

Danoh 13:22 09 Mar 06

ahh... rats! Nero 5.5.10.56 OEM

Looks like I need DVD writing s/w... Any suggestions please?

€dstowe 13:26 09 Mar 06

Update your Nero?

You will also need DVD playing software if you want to play DVDs.

Danoh 13:30 09 Mar 06

I've got PowerDVD XP for the DVD reader (slave drive).

I get confused with the different versions of Nero ~ any recommendations plse? Or of another brand of s/w?

pj123 14:26 09 Mar 06

Danoh, you need Nero version 6 at least.

Go here click here and buy the OEM Suite 3 (5097) which is what I did. Once it is installed click here and update it. Download package 1 and 2, DON'T FORGET TO TAKE THE TICK OUT OF THE YAHOO TOOLBAR BOX BEFORE DOWNLOADING.

Danoh 19:49 09 Mar 06

Thanks pj123 !! Will check out Nero 7 ~ in your opinion, any worthwhile benefit with Nero versions >6?

freaky 20:32 09 Mar 06

Got the LG GSA-4163BA OEM version, works great with Nero 6 reloaded and the XP drivers.

There was a firmware update for this model on the LG site which I installed. Had occasion to contact LG on a query - they replied with 24 hrs.

Only problem I have had, is if you leave a CD or DVD in the tray, then it takes ages to power down. I now leave it empty.

Would be interested to know if this problem applies to the 4167B ?

Danoh 08:43 10 Mar 06

I can't see any extra benefits from Nero 7; the extra functions it offers is what I already have via other apps (+ Nero proprietary formats), besides an integrated dashboard to run all of them.
So I've gone for Nero 6.

Danoh 08:49 10 Mar 06

freaky; I used to get that with my existing CD-RW drive. It's yet another niggle that has disappeared since I upgraded the PSU. Don't know if its the same cause for your symptoms.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…