OEM Activation

Ozy 22:20 22 Jun 03

Can someone explain to me, what the editor meant
When he says that OEM copies of XP don?t use
Activation, Page 91 June PCAdvisor.
I bought an OEM copy of XP Home from a computer fair.
I clicked the icon to Activate while I was on line,
Nothing happened, except I don?t get reminded to
Activate anymore.
Am I Activated, or did I waste my time?

Djohn 22:32 22 Jun 03

my Son's new laptop came pre-loaded with XP home and Works Suite 2003, both OEM.

They both had to be activated. He didn't have an ISP at the time, so we did it by phone. j.

ericmax 22:33 22 Jun 03

if you want to see if you have activated xp
go to start/run and type oobe/msoobe /a
hit enter it should tell you.

ericmax 22:42 22 Jun 03

ps dont forget the space between be&/a

rev.bem 23:02 22 Jun 03

My new PC came supplied with XP oem pre-loaded (disc supplied) i had to activate it,if you are not being reminded to activate then assume your activation has been sucsessfull.

DieSse 23:05 22 Jun 03

This doesn't mean the type of OEM copy that comes as a CD and leaflet. They are just the same as retail copies - you activate them over the web, or by phone, as normal.

temp003 02:38 23 Jun 03

Agree with DieSse.

The bigger "brands" sell computers pre-loaded with an OEM copy of XP and activation is done by embedding a code in the BIOS of the computer. Every time the computer starts, it looks for a code in the BIOS. If the code matches, XP proceeds as normal. For this type of computer, you can change your hardware as much as you like, as long as you don't change the motherboard where the BIOS resides.

Other computers may come with XP pre-loaded, but the activation is done in the normal way (phone or internet - by the seller or by the end-user). In rev.bem's case, it was done by the end-user. Change of hardware (up to a certain point) will require re-activation.

For your type of OEM copy of XP, since you just bought the CD and had to install it yourself, you would definitely need to activate your copy of XP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…