OEM?

Mastermind 18:58 30 Jan 04

Could someone tell me what OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) actually means.

I ask because I was looking for some components on Dabs and noticed the following statement.

"OEM hardware may only be purchased by registered system builders."

Chris the Ancient 19:22 30 Jan 04

A quick search on the site finds this interesting thread. Seems to explain things nicely!

click here

Chris

PA28 20:13 30 Jan 04

Strange Policy from Dabs - wonder if they've had problems with questions such as "where's the manual?". Most other suppliers don't seem to mind. OEM is normally just bare bones components. No manuals, cables, instructions, software bundles, support, or fancy packaging (I did wonder at a DVD drive I bought recently which actually came in a sandwich, rather than an anti-stat, bag!).

If you're fully au-fait with what you're doing OEM will produce the same result as the full package at a fraction of the cost. If you're not, it won't!!

Big Elf 20:16 30 Jan 04

Additionally some item e.g. graphics cards will only include the card and a driver CD instead of extra cables (DVI) and a few games, DVD drives may only have the drive with no cables or fixing brackets and screws.

Big Elf 20:17 30 Jan 04

My thinking time and typing time are obviously a lot slower than yours:0)

Mastermind 21:05 30 Jan 04

This is what I was after:
click here

I think this is the retail version:
click here

A difference in price of 67%!

Mastermind 21:08 30 Jan 04

This is interesting; it appears that Dabs are selling D66-00035, which is an three pack, singularly:
click here

Big Elf 21:14 30 Jan 04

What could you get extra with a mouse?

I'm assuming that the OEM is actually a MS mouse. The labelling appears to indicate that it is.

Mastermind 21:21 30 Jan 04

A box? ;-)

Drivers that can be downloaded anyway.

A manual? ;-)

Mastermind 21:22 30 Jan 04

When they say:
"OEM hardware may only be purchased by registered system builders."

Registered with whom?

A Cat Called George 21:22 30 Jan 04

A cat to chase it???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…