OE6 DBX files set to open with Notepad!

TOPCAT® 17:13 20 Dec 06

A silly mate of mine chose notepad to open one of his .dbx files and, not knowing what he was doing, had the tick enabled that ensured all files of that type would open with notepad. Now he can't access any of his message folders in OE6.

Anyone know how to correct this please? TIA TC.

FreeCell 17:48 20 Dec 06

Go to Windows Explorer and select Tools-Folder Options-File Types

Scroll down the list to find the .dbx file type and then change the "Open with" to OE.

TOPCAT® 18:46 20 Dec 06

I emailed to him what you said, FreeCell, but he says there is no OE option available in the list to choose from. There is Internet Explorer there on the list but its icon is totally different to what a normal dbx file has.

He is using XP SP2 Home with all updates installed, by the way. TC.

TOPCAT® 18:51 20 Dec 06

tries to access a message folder in OE, the message folders window closes immediately the mouse cursor moves into it - hence the lack of access to any of them. TC.

brundle 18:56 20 Dec 06

.dbx files aren't designed to be loaded into OE anyway, not in the way .eml files can be. They are the database files that make up the folders in OE, setting them to open with Notepad shouldn't have affected access to them unless they have been saved or edited with Notepad, which will damage the structure.
Do as freecell said but delete the .dbx filetype then reboot and try OE again.

brundle 18:59 20 Dec 06

A repair of Folders.dbx might work
click here

"If Folders.dbx becomes corrupt, OE often stops displaying folders for existing *.dbx files, and sometimes will simply refuse to start. Also a bloated Folders.dbx can make OE run very slowly. Both problems can be repaired by closing OE and deleting Folders.dbx. Understand though that you will lose the mail tree structure, all lists of newsgroups, and all synchronization options, and that message rules will likely need to be edited."

skidzy 19:09 20 Dec 06

Will system restore not work with this TC.

TOPCAT® 19:29 20 Dec 06

Your first suggestion did the trick, Brundle. He deleted the dbx filetype, rebooted and all now is well, he says. He was so pleased he even rang me up to say thanks! I told him to register here with the forums and take in the wealth of knowledge, wit and friendship here.

Many thanks guys on behalf of my mate for the help. Have a nice Christmas! TC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5