oe5 problem

2CV6 10:55 07 Sep 03

Hi, I run w98se, ie6 and oe5 and a virus programme called bit defender.I opened oe5 this morning and all of my inbox emails just disappeared. Everything else like sent items and other folders are there except the inbox things. Is there anyway of finding these emails and restoring them to my inbox? thanks 2cv6.

MAJ 12:08 07 Sep 03

In OE go to View > Current View, it might be that you have it set to "Hide Read Messages", 2CV6. Change it back to "Show all Messages".

2CV6 15:32 07 Sep 03

Hi, It's on "show all messages" now. All the messages didn't go into the deleted folder, they just disappeared from view.2cv6.

Wak 19:08 07 Sep 03

I would suggest that you run the "repair Internet Explorer" as this also repairs Outlook Express.
Go to Start/ programs/ Accessories/ System Tools/ system Information/ Tools and then Repair Internet Explorer.
I'm not sure if it would simply repair OE5 or replace it with OE6??? Would that matter???

2CV6 19:48 07 Sep 03

Hi, I tried the repair option, but alas, no good.OE5 is still there, so thats ok.oe6 kept crashing, seems to be no good with 98se. I have Norton file recovery, but have never used it. It looks complicated to me. Where would the inbox contents disappear to? Everything else is still perfect and in place in all the other folders. When you delete an email is it also ever recoverable ??? 2cv6 thanx.

Wak 20:14 07 Sep 03

I run OE 6 with Win 98SE and it runs perfectly (touch wood!)
When you were deleting the files from your Inbox, you didn't accidentally delete the Inbox, did you??
If you did, it should still be in the recycle bin.
Look in the recycle bin using Windows Explorer, right click the Inbox (if you find it) and choose "Restore".

Peverelli 20:21 07 Sep 03

Click on Start > Find > Files and Folders. Type in *.dbx and your PC should find your inbox, normally inbox.dbx (provided it hasn't been deleted completely).

2CV6 17:26 08 Sep 03

Hi Peverelli, tried your option and found the file but couldn't open it in Word. 2cv6.

Peverelli 19:01 08 Sep 03

It needs to be opened in Outlook Express. Find the file path (ie: C:\Windows\Application Data or whatever) and make a note of it. Then in Outlook Express goto File > Import > Messages (Outlook Express 5) and navigate through the file path to your inbox. I'm relying on memory here as it is a bit easier with OE6 and XP. With a bit of luck, your inbox should then be accessible from OE.

2CV6 23:05 08 Sep 03

Hi Peverelli, I have the path. However there is no oe5 when I go to file>import>messages. There is an oe4 and an oe6 + lots of others. 2cv6.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…