OE Problem

twitcher 19:34 08 Aug 06

A neighbour of mine has recently signed up to talktalk broadband. The connection works OK, the only problem concerns email access.

When he clicks on "Mail, Read Mail" in IE, OE opens but nothing happens. When he clicks on the "Send/Recv" button his Internet connection closes. He has tried opening OE separately but the same thing happens.

Anybody know why this might be happening?

FelixTCat 19:42 08 Aug 06

twitcher,

Has he set up the email details properly in OE with username, password and mail server?

Regards,

Felix

VoG II 19:43 08 Aug 06

Tools > Options, General tab. Tick send and receive mail at startup.

twitcher 20:19 08 Aug 06

Thanks both of you - As far as I could see he'd set up his details correctly. I'll be seeing him tomorrow and will get him to try VoG's suggestion. I'll let you know how it goes.

TonyM 20:24 08 Aug 06

In Outlook Express - Tools/Options, Connection tab ....untick "Hang Up after sending and receiving" ?

twitcher 19:34 09 Aug 06

Visited my neighbour today and implemented the above suggestions with partial success. OE no longer closes when the Send/Recv button is clicked and he can send email. The trouble is he can’t receive it.

When he opens OE he gets an error message on the following lines:-

“There was a problem logging into your mail server. Your password was rejected ….Server mail.talktalk.net Server response ERR login fail Port 110 Secure (SSL no serve error) 0x800CCC90 ERR No. 0x800CCC92”

This seems odd as the password entered is the same as that used for logging onto the Internet, and the server seems quite happy to send mail. Any ideas as to what’s going wrong?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…