OE Message Rules

R.C.M. 22:04 01 Aug 06

I can get message rules in outlook express to save incoming emails to the senders individual folders, but I would like to do the same with sent emails - put sent mail into recipients individual folders - not just in the sent folder, but can't seem to be able to work this out.

Can some-one guide me through the procedure - or suggest a program like pocosystems which will help me to achieve this.

Many thanks.

recap 12:53 02 Aug 06

You should be able to do this in the message rule properties window, if you tick the option "Where the To line Contains People" then follow the normal steps for creating the message rule. I would recommend that you create a Sent Items folder in the individual account, this would help in knowing what is incoming and outgoing mail.

R.C.M. 19:19 02 Aug 06

Thanks very much for your reply.I have followed the instructions that you have suggested but I'm getting confused as to the instructions > Apply to folder > it is set at Inbox and if you click the browse button and change to the folder > Sent items > apply now it reverts back to Inbox - is this just returning to default settings but the rule has been applied to the sent folder?

I appreciate your help - thanks very much.

beeuuem 02:22 03 Aug 06

From click here
Rules for Sent Items

It is possible to use rules to sort messages in Sent Items into other folders. However OE applies rules automatically only to incoming messages. You will have to apply Sent Items rules manually. To avoid having Sent Items rules applied to incoming messages, the rules should be disabled by removing their check marks in the list of rules. When you wish to sort Sent Items, simply click Tools | Message Rules | Mail, then click Apply Now. Select all the Sent Items rules (use Shift-click or Ctrl-click to select more than one at a time). Click Browse and select the Sent Items folder. Click Apply Now and the selected rules will do their magic.

If you use Outlook Express for newsgroups and save a copy of your own posts in Sent Items, you will have one small problem with rules. Mail rules filter only on mail headers, and news message do not have the same headers. But since news messages do not have a TO line, and every mail message you send does, we can use that to separate mail from news quite easily.
Sent Items - stop processing news messages

This rule is currently turned off.
Where the To line does not contain '@'
Move it to the Sent News folder
and Stop processing more rules

This assumes you have created a folder named Sent News.

Sent items - move mail to Sent Mail folder

This rule is currently turned off.
For all messages
Move it to the Sent Mail folder
and Stop processing more rules

This assumes you have created a folder named Sent Mail. Note that there are no conditions specified, just 'all messages'. This is because the previous rule has already moved all news messages into another folder. Therefore any message that is still in the Sent Items folder must be a mail message.

R.C.M. 18:53 03 Aug 06

Can I first apologise for taking so long to reply to your input - I am now getting to grips with the message rules.

I found the link you gave me very handy and I've saved it to my favourites as I can take my time and digest the information at my own learning pace - [tortoise speed]

Thanks a lot beeuuem, take care.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…