OE email back up

R.C.M. 22:56 29 Jul 06

Having lost several emails [own fault] I have decided to look for a free, or to invest in a decent program.

Any suggestion please? I have looked at a free program and one at £14 approx - I like the £14 one has anyone any ideas or preference?

Many thanks.

Taff™ 00:50 30 Jul 06

It`s not just e-mails you need to back up - it`s the entire system surely. For £14 though I`d give it a try.

Why not invest less than £30 in Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost and cover the entire system.

The Old Mod 09:05 30 Jul 06

Hi, you could export the address book and save to floppy.

In OE, goto tools/addressbook/file/export/addressbook(wab)/save.

Hope this helps.

Gongoozler 09:51 30 Jul 06

Hi R.C.M.. The method I use may not be the best, but it's free and it works for me.

First find where your emails are kept. In O.E. select Tools - Options - Store folder. You will then see where your emails are stored. At this point, you can change the location if you want. I always create a folder on a second drive or partition, but that isn't necessary.

Now you know where the emails are stored, you can make a backup copy. The emails are compressed into files with the extension .dbx. There will be one dbx file for each OE folder. i.e. there will be inbox.dbx, outbox.dbx, sent items.dbx etc. There will also be folders.dbx which OE uses to decompress the other files.

Download a copy of DBXtract from click here and put it into a folder you create for the purpose. I use a folder on the C: drive that I name DBXtract. At this point I create a shortcut to DBXtract.exe on the desktop and in the Start menu.
Create another folder - I call this one Extracted Emails.

Run the program DBXtract. You will be asked for the path (location) of the Input file. This is the folder of your backed up dbx files. You will then be asked for the file name e.g.Inbox.dbx. You will then be asked for the path for the location you want the extracted emails to be put. In my case this is D:\Extracted Emails\Inbox, D:\Extracted Emails\Outbox etc

Now you can click on the Extract button. DBXtract will create a file with the extension .eml for each extracted email. Do this for all the emails you want to store. When you have finished you can burn the whole lot to CD. Double clicking on any eml file will open it in Outlook Express. Once you are confident that you have successfully backed up all your emails in a viewable state you can delete them in Outlook Express.

R.C.M. 11:08 30 Jul 06

just goes to prove what a silly old fart I am - I have Acronis True Image on my computer but I don't have a clue how to work it. I remember putting it on and each time I start the computer there is a message when powering up telling me the program is working.

Thanks for your advice and help.

R.C.M. 11:25 30 Jul 06

Thanks for your input Old Mod. I can save the address book the way you described, my problem was I lost several important emails in the past week. I had inadvertently deleted them.

After I read your post I tried to do the same with messages and I'm sure they have been saved in Microsoft Express or Microsoft Exchange.

Thanks for that

Gongoozler 11:29 30 Jul 06

R.C.M., try my suggestion then you need never lose an email again and you can access your old emails without disturbing anything else on your computer. Acronis etc are all very good, but a bit of an overkill if all you want to do is recover an email you received a year ago but have since deleted.

R.C.M. 11:30 30 Jul 06

Thanks for the effort you have put in trying to help me - I very much appreciate your help and advice.

I will follow your instructions and see how I get on, it may take a while as I'm a bit slow following instructions.

Thanks very much - take care.

R.C.M. 11:32 30 Jul 06

Thank you all for your kind input and advice - I think I will be able to ensure I don't lose any more email folders again.

Newuser38 11:48 30 Jul 06

Bump to keep

Gongoozler 11:50 30 Jul 06

R.C.M., let us know how you get on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…