O.E. annoyance

golda.neagle 10:16 17 May 06

Every time I close OE I get the message "To free up disc space Outlook Express can compact messages. This may take a few minutes" OK/Cancel

As I have bags of disc space and don't want my messages compacted, how can I get rid of this annoying message?

DieSse 10:30 17 May 06

You may be misunderstanding what the message says - yes you do want your messages compacted. It doesn't change them in any way, it simply tidies up the database files they are stored in.

You won't see any difference in your messages atall, and you'll probably then stop getting the rpompt.

golda.neagle 15:58 17 May 06

No, there's no misunderstanding. I don't want my messages compacted, neither do I wish to keep getting this annoying reminder

DieSse 16:16 17 May 06

If you use WinXP with SP2 there is no setting to affect this. On earlier versions in Tools - Maintenance, there is a % setting (can't tell you exactly where - I don't have this) - which you may be able to change.

I'm intrigued as to why you won't do this - it's purely a maintenance facility to stop the database getting too fragmented - a bit akin to defragging. Though it does also remove deleted messages from the folders too.

golda.neagle 17:10 17 May 06

I'm not entering into a debate as to whether I should or should not compact my messages, all I want to know is whether there is a way to stop this annoyance other than by complying with Microsoft's dictat.

VoG II 17:12 17 May 06

No there isn't. The reason for this message is that when you delete e-mails they arne't actually deleted - just marked as deleted. So over time your mail folders get full. You need to compact the messages to free up space.

DieSse 17:45 17 May 06

I respectfully suggest you lighten up if you want to get the best from this forum.

We get all sorts of visitors here - those with loads of experience, those with next to none. There is no way of telling who knows what, or whether they even understand the question they're asking, or the ramifications of it.

So basically at least I and VoG™ think you can't do what you want - if you're happy with the effects of not compacting then that's fine by me.

golda.neagle 19:28 17 May 06

Thanks VoG for your helpful explanation.

DieSse, I am not a computer expert. When I use this Forum I hope for assistance, and I invariably get it. What I don't need is a lecture to go with it. May I suggest that you keep your snide comments to yourself when answering members' questions.

Caså 19:52 17 May 06

DieSse....You are always very helpfull on this site.I am sorry you have to put up with that.Nowt so queer as folk

Gordal 19:53 17 May 06

golda.neagle

With your attitude pal. I am surprised if you "invariably get it" - assistance that is.

You received helpful advice from both DieSse and VOG, both of whom are experts in this Forum in my opinion and deserve greater respect.

The Spires 20:15 17 May 06

golda.neagle, that's no way to talk to DieSse or anyone on here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…