Odds of Multivision successors honouring guarantee

de_de 08:42 17 Jan 04

My PC was bought from Multivision which has gone bust. It was 1 year into a 3yr on site, 3 yr rtb warranty. I would like to know, historically speaking, what other firms have gone bust, been taken over and honoured the original guarantees. Are the successors legally bound to honour them? I've got this feeling that i might get left high and dry here!

Diodorus Siculus 08:49 17 Jan 04

Most "sucessors" will buy a company's assets and name; rarely will they take on liabilities. It remains to be seen what happens in this case.

Many PC companies have their warranty money protected so that in the case they get into difficulty, the warranty will be honoured. I think tat MV was one of those from the reviews I once read.

Sir Radfordin 10:04 17 Jan 04

To some extent it may depend on how you paid for the PC. I seem to remember customers of Tiny that paid by credit card got a different deal to those who had paid cash/debit card. If you have paid by credit card (and this is why you always should) then you gain some protection because of the consumer credit act.

If you don't have a problem at the momemnt then I would wait and see what happens with MV and any deals that may be proposed.

sattman 10:07 17 Jan 04

Those who recall P C Science and the fiasco that was created when they whent into recievership.

The computor that I had purchased from them had been a problem from new.

The liquidator sold the business risk on and this new business sorted my computor out 11 months after purchase.

I guess I was lucky on this occasion

961 10:11 17 Jan 04

I wouldn't hold your breath

But let's look on the bright side

If your computer is a year old then it is past the stage at which a fault is more likely to materialise. The first three months are the difficult ones and so with a little luck this problem may be a problem that does not matter

de_de 11:12 17 Jan 04

Thanks for all your replies. It seems I just have to see what happens with MV. I might get lucky there again...! I did purchase with a credit card so thats 1 good point. As 961 says, it is a yr old now, and starting to get a bit dated. I will most probably embark on an upgrade path this year anyway, which will probably void any warranty left. I mean who would leave there PC untouched for 6 years!! interesting thoughts though...thanks again

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:16 17 Jan 04

If you were going to buy a company that had gone to the wall, one assumes through lack of cash flow/orders, the last thing you would be doing is spending buckets o'cash on items that you had not sold. On a few occasions the new company has honoured these agreements but the important word here is 'honoured'. It is not a legal obligation but a matter of choice/conscience/good advertising.

As most computer builders are feeling the pinch, especially after Xmas,and as MV went bang just after what is supposed to be their busiest period, it is unlikely that a buyer will be found, unless MV have shed loads of assets.

The chances of your computer croaking are slim, to say the least. If you do have a problem it will most likely be software related and there are many here that can help. Even if the problem is hardware related it is not rocket science to change the offending piece with help from here.

G

de_de 11:22 17 Jan 04

Good re-assurance Gandalf. As a newbie here i'm already getting great advice. Baaah..who needs warranties!!!

spuds 12:03 17 Jan 04

All sorts of if,whats,wherefores come into the final outcome of company insolvencies.The elected administrator tries to salvage as much as the previous business as possible.In the Tempo saga, the administrator sold on the extended warranties to the Dixon Group [PC World].They continued to honour the remainder of the warranty.A number of other similar administor arrangements have occurred, with other companies that have 'failed'. If you require warranty assistance, whilst the company is in the the process of administration, do the following. Contact the administrator for advice and clarrification [sometimes this can be difficult due to lack of immediate response], or the component manufacturer.If you have purchased the item via a credit card[not debit card] or computer [not personal]finance arrangement, then inform your finance company, and inform them of the circumstances. Make sure that you emphisise that you will hold them responsible under the Credit Consumer Act. A word of warning here, a few finance companies may state initially that they have no responsibility. They do,and they are only trying to play on your ignorance, they cannot make these statements officially,so if it comes to that, do not be fobbed off.The rest should be plain sailing!.

PUNKA 14:36 17 Jan 04

Obviously the consumer still cops it for the inability of companies to listen to its punters and the likes of PCA that try to champion our cause.What with the poll tax backlash from the Silver army and the growth in consumers not afraid to take on the so called BIG BOYS. 2004 could prove a milestone for us Nearly getting things the way that they should be !!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…