Odd warning when using CCleaner

cocteau48 17:11 03 Dec 07

Running XP/SP2/Freecom 160GB ext HD.
Running CCleaner with the ext HD switched OFF - no problems.
Running CCleaner with the ext HD switched ON I get a yellow warning triangle in the task bar which reads-
"CCleaner.exe - Corrupt File - The file or directory \Recycled\Dj5.tib is corrupt and unreadable - please run the chkdsk utility"
The .tib would indicate an Acronis file (I assume) and running chkdsk does nothing to repair the problem.
Also deselecting the "empty recycle bin" box in CCleaner before running with the Ext HD switched ON - No warning appears !

OK so it's no big deal to run CCleaner with the EXT HD switched OFF - its not working on the ext drive after all - but why has this just started to happen?
Any Ideas?

Diemmess 17:47 03 Dec 07

Like you I would hate to have something unexplained which limited full use of my external HD.

If the filename doesn't ring a bell with you I would be a shade adventurous and delete it via My Computer.

It amazes me that we don't get more spurious error messages assuming that is what this is from a chopped up file of no obvious use.

Just check that any Acronis backups are valid and delete any that are never likely to be used.

cocteau48 17:50 03 Dec 07

Right then I have now discovered that if I open the recycle bin on my desktop it is empty,
BUT
If I choose empty recycle bin - it asks if I want to delete 2 items ......!!!
AND
If I choose erase recycle bin - I get two failures

Failed: J:\RECYCLED\Dj5.tib (The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.)
Failed: J:\RECYCLED\Dj2.tib (The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.)

where J is my Ext HD.

How do I get rid of these?

Technotiger 17:52 03 Dec 07

Hi, I agree with Diemmess and advise delete if it is an Acronis file - you can always do another Full backup with Acronis after cleaning up your drive(s).

cocteau48 17:55 03 Dec 07

Diemmess
"I would be a shade adventurous and delete it via My Computer"

I would if I could find them.

cocteau48 17:59 03 Dec 07

Technotiger

I have already deleted all my Acronis files on the ext HD and created a fresh verified one after running chkdsk.

mfletch 18:21 03 Dec 07

Hi cocteau48,

Damaged Files in Recycled Folder
No files may appear in the Recycle Bin if the files in the Recycled folder are damaged. If this is the case, create a copy of the Recycled\ Desktop.ini file in another folder, and then delete the entire contents of the Recycled folder. Then, restore the Desktop.ini file to the Recycled folder. Note that doing this deletes all files in the Recycle Bin.

If the Desktop.ini file is not present or is also damaged, it can be recreated by adding the following information to a blank Desktop.ini file: [.ShellClassInfo]
CLSID={645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}

click here

mfletch

mfletch 18:23 03 Dec 07

OR Line 64

click here

mfletch

chippy+ 18:25 03 Dec 07

hi cocteau48
you can open recycle bin properties and onfigure drives independently then you can use ccleaner with the ex drive on personally i allways have my external drive off when using cleaners Chippy

cocteau48 19:42 03 Dec 07

mfletch

The water is beginning to creep over the top of the wellies (out of depth syndrome)

"create a copy of the Recycled\ Desktop.ini file in another folder"

How?

cocteau48 20:46 03 Dec 07

Thanks to all for the input - I think we are sorted.
Found the two offending files in the recycler folder on the ext HD.
Deleting the files and/or the recycler folder appeared to make no difference.
Deleted Acronis image and tranferred all other files across to main drive/reformatted ext HD/transferred files back and created new Acronis image - all done in under 1 hour.
Thanks again to all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac