Odd Problem at Startup

dave h 19:56 26 Nov 03

I have a Medion with 2.8 Mb Pentium, 80 Gb Hard Drive, 512Mb Ram running Windows XP.

The Hard Drive is split into drives C, D, E,F, G, of which C, F & G are Data drives, the others are ‘Backups formed by the system.

On Startup, Windows XP boots, but finishes with a warning window displayed which says

"C8: qttask.exe – No Disk

There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive\device\harddisk5\DR14

And three buttons – Cancel, Continue, Retry"

On hitting cancel the window reappears, except that the line ends 1\R16

Further cancellations give windows with the line endings 2\DR17, 3\DR18, 4\DR19

The warning window can disappear after any of the cancellations, and sometimes the window does not appear at all, after which everything runs as normal.

Does anyone have any clues as to why this happens??

Thanx in advance

A_World_Maker 20:04 26 Nov 03

qttask.exe is linked to Quicktime.. did you try loading a file from Quicktime at some point?

A_World_Maker 20:06 26 Nov 03

try here click here

as I thought it is linked to QuickTime :-)

dave h 20:46 26 Nov 03

To A_World_Maker

Thanks for that.

Seems to have got rid of qttask.exe, but the window is back but now it's labelled 'FINDFAST.EXE' which appears to be part of MS Office.

Also, any idea what 'disks' are being referred to?

Thanx Again.

dave h 23:15 26 Nov 03

Just been reading up on 'Findfast' (via a Google Search).

It appears that it's a feature of MS Office that is more of a hindrance than a help to the average (like me).

If the problem persists, I'll remove it tomorrow.

Thanks for the help

dave h 21:09 27 Nov 03

Took out Findfast, startup has returned to normal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…