odd network problem

User-1269394 20:06 30 May 08

Hi
I have a home wireless network which was running fine until I had to get my PC repaired few months ago. As part of that repair it was factory restored by the guys in the shop. Since then, I cannot change the name of my computer on the network.
My computer name in system information on windows is 'desktop'. When I try to run the network setup wizard (xp), it defaults the computer name to some odd number - '(044850320068)'. If I change the name and restart the computer it changes it back to that number! The rest of the network sees this as a different computer from 'desktop' and so I can't use printer connected to my desktop, or access files on it.
What is going on??????

ambra4 20:18 30 May 08

To change the computer name right click on My Computer on desktop-properties-click

Computer Name Tab- click Change

User-1269394 14:10 31 May 08

That's not the problem! My computer name is desktop as far as the system is concerned. It's only the network setup wizard which won't let me change it - it keeps defaulting my computer's name on the network to that funny number. No matter where and how I change the computer name, it still comes up on the network as that number.

brundle 16:41 31 May 08

Remove Client For Microsoft Networks and File & Printer Sharing in Local Area Connection, reboot, run the Network Setup Wizard again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced