odd hard drive failure

amorphous14 12:25 27 Jan 09

ok, i had my main hdd go loopy on me so i re-installed vista on my other hardrive and that fine but when i connect my other hard drive to my pc either via sata or usb connection it either prevents me from from booting into windows (via sata) or if i use the USB caddy it then prevents me from accesing 'my computer' or any program that needs to see the harddrives, yet i can see it in bios no probs and i can also see it in device manager, i tried using file scavenger to copy across data but it keeps freezing up when i try to access anything to do with the hard drives.

any ideas?

AndySD 12:47 27 Jan 09

If using the Sata connection go into the BIOS (SeyUp) and in Boot settings make sure your old drive is not included in the boot devices.

amorphous14 13:01 27 Jan 09

can you remove HD from boot sequence? i have just moved it to the last place for booting but its doing the same thing and not booting into windows

Graphicool1 13:35 27 Jan 09

Stupid question...

You did reset the Slave/Master Pins?

amorphous14 13:36 27 Jan 09

its sata, there are no pins on the drive, and in bios its coming up as being a slaved drive

amorphous14 13:42 27 Jan 09

i mean it has pins but on the drive itself it says master/slave jumpers not required for SATA. really weird as i can see in in device manager when i plug it in via a USB caddy just cant access the drive.

AndySD 13:43 27 Jan 09

I dont know what BIOs you are ysing but yes there should be the option to disable it in the boot menu. Highlight the drive and hit enter - the option should be there.

amorphous14 14:12 27 Jan 09

hey use gigabye ga-p35-ds3p with their bios, all it gives me in options under standard cmos setting is ide auto detection, "ide channel 1 slave" (with none, auto, maunal choices) and then "access mode" (wth CHS LBA Large and auto)

in advanced bios features under hard disk priority it just lists all my hdd's and only gives the option to change boot sequence, not remove them

any thoughts?

AndySD 16:49 27 Jan 09

Can you use the caddy and run a virus check on the drive?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…