Odd Computer Failure

ened 10:38 05 May 06

I am using XPPro with a LogitechMX1000 mouse and LX700 keyboard.

Last night I turned the mouse off whilst using the computer and when I turned it on again XP was virtually dysfunctional.

The cursor could be moved around the screen but nothing worked – not even the Shut Down screen. Task Manager was not available either.The keyboard was functioning because I was able to type in the password.

I eventually got myself running by plugging in a standard (Wired) p/s2 keyboard.

System Restore didn’t help the situation and I found my self not being able to use the cordless keyboard.

I have the latest drivers and tried to plug the LX700 into the p/s2 using the adapter.

This works so I now have a fully functioning pc.

But really I would like to use the keyboard, as it was intended, via usb.

I have consulted Logitech but this problem doesn't appear to be supposed to happen.

rmcqua 12:11 05 May 06

You say you have the latest drivers, but this sounds very much like a driver problem. Where did you get the drivers from? Did you uninstall properly before installing the latest drivers?

ened 12:53 05 May 06

I installed it a week or so ago and downloaded the drivers from the Logitech site.

I did the same for the mouse drivers about a year or so ago.

Interestingly, though, when I looked at the driver after getting it working again through the p/s2 it had reverted to the generic driver as provided by MS.

I updated the driver but it still kills the machine when it is connected thru usb.

ened 16:58 05 May 06

I guess I was hoping someone, out of the thousands, had experienced this or something similar.

Pineman100 17:02 05 May 06

You say that you used SR, as part of your efforts to get things back to normal. Is there any chance that you restored to a date before you downloaded the latest drivers? If so, they'll be gone.

ened 17:08 05 May 06

No but thanks anyway.

I have checked and currently have the latest drivers installed.

I have just tried again and still have a disfunctional machine when I plug the receiver for the Keyboard into the usb.

To re-iterate: this started when I turned the mouse off for a moment. There is no serious reason for the problem and I have run anti-virus etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…