Odd AVG problem

Totally-braindead 18:04 04 May 07

Just wondering if anyone has seen this before.

Got a call from a friend about his aging Win 98 PC and went to see it. Basically he had Word documents on it and they wouldn't open, he mentioned as well that he couldn't get email as his AVG appeared to jam.
Deleted AVG and tried it and sure enough the Word documents would open once AVG was removed.
Reinstalled AVG from scratch and tried the documents again and they were still ok and the email was back working.
So it appears AVG was stopping email and Word documents from opening. Now the email thing I can understand but I fail to see how a faulty anti virus program could effect Word.

Its fixed and running perfectly again but I thought I would ask if anyone could give me some sort of plausable explanation as to why AVG did this.

p;3 18:25 04 May 07

did he have the new version of avg on there or the older version?

Totally-braindead 18:28 04 May 07

Both versions were the new 7.5 one. The new installation is working fine with no probs its just it seems weird to me that it could stop Word opening a document.

VoG II 18:33 04 May 07

Was it only Word documents that would not open?

I *think* that when you try to open a Word document, a real-time virus scanner will scan both Word itself and the document. However, I would be puzzled if it was only Word that was affected.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:36 04 May 07

May be looking for macro viruses in word?

Totally-braindead 18:49 04 May 07

I tried opening Control Panel, System and looked thru there and had a look round the hard drive as well as looking on a CDROM and also tried Quickbooks and that worked ok.
I can't say for certain that Word was the only program that did it as to be perfectly honest I just tried to work out what would cause Word to fail.
It was definatly AVG that caused it. I disabled AVG complately and Word would run ok but as soon as AVG was switched back on it wouldn't open documents.
Now I deleted and reinstalled AVG its fine again.

One thing I did forget to mention. I had a problem removing AVG, eventually had to manually remove it from the C drive and from the registry and then ran Ccleaner to find any bits that were left before reinstallation.

I'm 100% certain that it was AVG that caused the problem but I'm at a loss to explain why.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos