ODBC item in Control Panel - what is it?

polymath 20:41 06 Aug 04

It wasn't there last time I looked in the Control Panel. It's called ODBC Data Service Administrator.

It says 'An ODBC user data source stores information about how to connect to the indicated data provider. A user data source is only visible to you, and can only be used on the current machine'. Under 'ODBC Devices' is a list of 8 Microsoft applications (Excel and various databases). It says ODBC Tracing logs calls to ODBC drivers, for use of support people for debugging your applications.
The Help button didn't do anything.

I don't do any software development (far from it!), had never heard of ODBC and it's a puzzle to me. Should I worry? If not, do I need it?

Win 98SE, Internet Explorer 6, PC-cillin 2000 antivirus software (with all functions enabled except during installations); MailWasher.
Recent events; updated to IE6, downloaded RealOne Player (which works fine) from BBC site - that's all I can think of.

Now have to leave in 10 mins, but back tomorrow eve.

Valvegrid 20:46 06 Aug 04

Nothing to worry about. It's needed by data base programs amongst others, I think MS Access uses it.

polymath 20:58 06 Aug 04

Thanks Valvegrid - I'll sleep easier now! The only database I have is my old Dos favourite (Lotus Agenda), but I'll leave the item there in case something needs it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…