od2 - losing music you have paid for

grumpy-git 00:35 03 Jun 05

My pc recently crashed. I had to reinstall Windows & also restore my "license" for music downloaded to Windows Media Player. Seems that I still have to get the license re-issued for individual tracks which I paid for & downloaded. The license can seemingly only be issued either 2 or 3 times, so does that mean if I have another couple of crashes that I have lost all the music I have paid for?

If the pc did crash another couple of times, could I download those tracks again "for free" or would I have to pay for them again?

Anybody got any ideas??

G-G

Forum Editor 00:54 03 Jun 05

In the same way that, if you lost or damaged a CD you would have to buy another one - there's no difference surely?

DieSse 00:59 03 Jun 05

Anybody got any ideas??

You do proper backups, and then you can restore yur system to an exact copy of a previous time - ie all your settings, programs, data amd licenses will be intact.

One of the best ways to produce such backup images, Acronis True Image click here

Indigo 1 01:00 03 Jun 05

That's what backups are for.

Get a second hard drive installed and use it for storage of your important files.

DieSse 01:03 03 Jun 05

Said ..."there's no difference surely?"

A big difference I would have thought. The company that brought us Digital Rights Management also brings us computer crashes.

That's not meant as an anti-MS dig - it's an inevitability, and so they have a moral duty IMHO to provide a solution.

DieSse 01:06 03 Jun 05

Another solution is not to buy from sites that use DRM.

Another solution is to use Linux

DieSse 01:18 03 Jun 05

Read a view about DRM click here

grumpy-git 08:51 03 Jun 05

and so (for me at least) they last a long time. As regards music I have downloaded, that is also backed up, the original being on the second hard drive and not the c drive.

If I "take care" of my downloads then I should not have to suffer because of software problems beyond my control.

Looking at some of the license details on music I have downloaded, it says "you can play this music until 2099". Unless I've got it wrong somewhere, each time you have to re-install Windows, or replace a pc, it clocks up as one of your "re-issues".

I'm sure many of us have had cassettes chewed up by a cassette player, that is just a one off, to lose one of your license re-issues to "all" of your music in one go, because of a software problem, is a bit different.

I'm sure the clever ones amongst you can clone hard drives etc. to prevent these problems. DieSse has suggested Acronis, which I am sure is one way of doing this, but I am rapidly coming to the conclusion I am wasting money purchasing music from od2, as I can see my licenses are going to "run out" in the near future because of software problems.

Has anybody lost all their music because of these "license reissue" problems?

G-G

Migwell 09:09 03 Jun 05

Why not back them up onto CD in WMA or MP3 then it will be safe for you to also play on other players as well? ie cars are now coming with MP3 players in their radios etc.

grumpy-git 09:15 03 Jun 05

Migwell,

I never did get round to working out how to back them up onto cd. Each time I tried all that was backed up was a 1kb file. Obviously me doing something wrong.

G-G

grumpy-git 09:17 03 Jun 05

I thought I was doing the right thing by putting them on a second drive, but it seems before they will play again the license has to be reissued for each track.

G-G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos