on Oct 31 who won't be a criminal?

canard 11:10 08 Oct 03

Am I reading this right? click here
Imprisonment for Ipod usage, ripping tracks off your bought CDs to make an MP3 disc of faves, backup CD copies will all be criminal.

Chegs ® 11:12 08 Oct 03

....and taping tracks for the car!

Jester2K II 11:16 08 Oct 03

"ripping tracks off your bought CDs to make an MP3 disc of faves, backup CD copies will all be criminal." this is already illegal. No matter what ANYONE says the copying of CDs to CDR or tape is and always has been illegal even for personal usage. No-one will kick you doors in and arrest you for it and yes i also believe its stupid not to have a right to backup for GENUINE personal use. However that the law.

From what I've seen else where its all theoretical and what will and won't stand won't be known until test cases go to court.

Quoted from pops thread click here

"Under Britain's existing legislation," explains Robertson, "it infringes copyright to convert a song from a CD into MP3 format, or even just to copy a CD to cassette to play in your car. There is a widespread misconception that this is legal in the UK. It's not. It is legal in many other countries ? the US, France and Germany, for example. But Britain has long resisted giving individuals a 'private use' exception in its copyright laws."

However the changes seem to cover (or at least attempt to) the users of P2P software making it (theoretically) illegal to allow copyright material to be available over a P2P network from your PC.

Chegs ® 11:55 08 Oct 03

A person who infringes copyright in a work by communicating the work to the public ....

I "breach copyright" fairly frequently by copying cd's to tape/cd,record videos from DVD's and create backups of my puter cd's but I certainly wouldn't expect the powers that be to take me to court for it as I'm not "...communicating the work to the public"

I don't wish to start a barrage of posts pointing out what is already known,I "could" be sued,but if these changes are implemented,my defence is I'm not communicating the work to the public.

plankton 12:13 08 Oct 03

..unless you play the music VERY LOUDLY in your car! ;o)))

vinnyT 13:16 08 Oct 03

We're all Rebels! Arn't we?

fsssh 16:13 08 Oct 03

and always has been. if it is against the law to make copies why have companies ever been allowed to sell mp3 players/walkmans/tape decks etc etc. in the uk? i will admit most mp3 players will store other data as well as music so they could theoretically only be used for that purpose- but then why fit them with earphone sockets!?! However, tape decks on hi fi systems record sound only, so why are companies allowed to sell them as they are blatantly for producing, under current law, illegal copied material. unless of course you were to make your own compilation of "sounds from my house, volume 1" to take with you in the car.... i think not. For once i think the u.s. has it right, in that they are able to make legal copies for personal use. what is the point in having the law here if no one is going to enforce it anyway.

jordi2 16:18 08 Oct 03

Just make yourseld invisible:
click here

Newuser4165 16:21 08 Oct 03

Don't forget Photocopiers!

fsssh 16:29 08 Oct 03

i don't trust anything involving blowfish...evil little creatures...

kinger 16:32 08 Oct 03

I run a mobile disco and pay a 'performing right' fee. Therefore if I want to transcribe CD's, Vinyl, Minidiscs or DAT to MP3, I'll flippin' well do it.

(smile)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…