OCR Software

pondering 09:39 19 Feb 04

My scanner tells me i need to instal a ocr cd so i can scan a document,send it to wordpad or notepad and then edit it.What is it and where can i get this software?what should i look for?

thisisnighthawk 09:52 19 Feb 04

9 times out of 10 it will be on the CD you got with the scanner...

Optical Character Recognition.

Chegs ® 09:58 19 Feb 04

OCR is "Optical Character Recognition" It usually is neccessary to scan documents with an unusual format (pictures with writing on)Abbyy FineReader is an OCR prog.

StephShadow 10:37 19 Feb 04

click here
info about readiris OCR software, includes free demo download. (I got readiris free with HP printer/scanner. I find it’s ok, not great, sometimes it’s quicker to retype than fiddle with the software!)

If you don’t care who reads your stuff, there’s free OCR reading at click here
- but I’m not recommending it!

Edstow 10:44 19 Feb 04

If you have an up to date version of MS Office, have a look in Start -> Programs -> Microsoft Office Tools.

There you should find Microsoft Office Document Scanning and Microsoft Office Document Imaging. The first will link up to your scanner and the second will OCR the scanned document.

Ed

Stuartli 10:48 19 Feb 04

The January edition of PCW had a free copy of ABBYY FineReader Version5.

I've installed it and found it excellent (was using Caere's Lite version previously which came with my Agfa 1212u some time ago); however, you really need to download the upgrade as well, which is pretty massive and which, fortunately, my son downloaded for me on his broadband connection and delivered on a CD-RW.

It's very comprehensive, can read up to 17 languages and has pdf facilities.

ventanas 12:51 19 Feb 04

It is normal for OCR to be include with a scanner as mentioned earlier. If you did not get one I can certainly recommend ABBYY as others have done. Been using for some time. Now up to version 7, and rarely makes a mistake.

whatsupdoc 13:17 19 Feb 04

i use it at work and home and its pretty accurate.

Stuartli 15:38 19 Feb 04

ABBYY also comes up with text in a font(s) exactly as that of the original; they will also print out in that form on my eight-year-old Canon BJC600e.

Sheila-214876 17:28 19 Feb 04

Check your scanner setup CD in windows explorer and look for either Textbridge or Omnipage, these are two most common OCRs that are bundled with scanners.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…