Occasional hiccup on switch on

mike55 15:39 06 Jan 04

From time to time I get the following message when I switch on.
msgsrv32 has caused an error in DECCON32.DLL If problems follow switch off and restart. Does anyone know what it means? and should I be worried.
I am using Windows 98 ME with 50% of 10 Gb HDD free and 512 Mb RAM.

Jester2K 15:46 06 Jan 04

Do you mean DEVCON32.DLL??

Do you have a Sound Blaster sound card?

Try reinstalling the drivers.

Jester2K 15:48 06 Jan 04

from click here

MSGSRV32 error in DEVCON32.dll when starting Windows (This error message sometimes occurs when Creative Launcher loads or when restarting Windows. Non Creative mixing devices such as wave device for modems, mixer applications for multi- function video cards such as Hauppauge's WinTV Go card, or systems using ATI's Multimedia Centre software can cause this problem. You can check to see if you have non Creative Audio applications installed on your system by selecting Start - Settings - Control Panel - Multimedia - Devices):
a) Disable the Creative Soundblaster hardware . Reinstall the non Creative software. If you are using ATI's Multimedia's Centre, please upgrade to Version 7.x . Re-enable the Soundblaster hardware . Restart your system
b) Select Start - Run and type ASD and click OK. From the list select Starting a Device => Creative SB Live! Series and click on OK. Choose OK to reboot the PC.

Djohn 15:50 06 Jan 04

I found similar to Jester2K answer.

Devcon32.dll is a driver for the Creative SoundBlaster Live! Sound Card. You must disable the card, and then re-install the Creative Labs SoundBlaster Live! software.

Start your computer in safe mode.
Click on Start|Settings|Control Panel|System
Select the Device Manager tab.
Double-click on Sound, Video and Game Controllers.

Double-click on Creative SB Live!...
In the General tab, check the Disable box and Uncheck the 'Exists' box.

Click OK to save changes.

Restart the machine.

Windows should restart normally. Now you can reinstall SB Live! from the CD-Rom.

Jester2K 16:03 06 Jan 04

Get latest drivers click here

mike55 22:48 09 Jan 04

I have tried the above and no luck so I think I will try and reformat the Hard Drive and start again. I do have a lot of bits and pieces on board which could do with disposing of. Any advice on the best way to go about a reformat and what should I watch out for. I have got back-ups of My Documents should there be any others?
Thanks in anticipation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…