Obsolete hardware going begging

leo49 13:26 18 Oct 03

In the unlikely event that anyone should want them, I have an Iomega internal 250mb zip drive and a Conexant PCI Modem card free to a good or even slightly bad home.

No antique dealers,please!

Andsome 13:58 18 Oct 03

Take them to your nearest charity shop, eg Oxfam or a hospice shop.

leo49 14:03 18 Oct 03

Strange - I don't recall asking for advice.

SurgicalSpirit 14:33 18 Oct 03

I'mm begging i could put the zip drive to good use for my sons colledge work

leo49 14:42 18 Oct 03

Click my envelope and I'll pop it in the post to you

Ping Pong 15:21 18 Oct 03

This is more geared to Andsome than leo49 but everyone should pay attention to this.
Having worked next door to a PDSA shop for two years I can confirm that charity shops cannot sell electrics of any description. H&S forbids them from selling such items unless they have been tested to certain standards. This renders it ineffective for them to sell any thing electric. I know that most of you have good intentions at heart but my neighbour had to dump any thing electrical. Unless you are an electrician and willing to donate whatever time it takes to check everything electrical your local charity shop sells then don't bother donating electricals.
I am not saying don't donate, period but please understand they have to follow proceedures as well. Just give away old consumables. I recently offered several items of hardware on donate a pc but to no avail. I managed to offload a few bits to friends.

If you cannot give it to your friends ,then my wife and I would welcome the chance of any free hardware or software,as we are both disabled and living on purely disabled benefits.

Djohn 15:28 18 Oct 03

Well I think that leo49 should be thanked for his generosity in offering good serviceable PC hardware to anyone that is in need, rather than be told what he can or cannot do.

I think he is well aware of the rules/guidelines governing electrical products. Neither of the items he is giving away come under these regulations.

Djohn 15:30 18 Oct 03

Is there anything in particular that you need? J.

Andsome 13:42 19 Oct 03

I honestly don't think that my reply warranted such a rude response. I was not intending to offer unwanted advice. I merely thought that if no one took up your generous offer, then the goods in question may still find a good home, and also put a pound or two into the coffers of a worthwhile charity. If, as others have pointed out, they would not be permitted to sell such goods, then so be it, I stand corrected, but my suggestion was made with good intent, and did not warrant your terse reply.

graham√ 14:04 19 Oct 03

May I apologize on behalf of Leo. He often apologizes for me, so now I can reciprocate.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…