Obsolete broadband equipment

Glen 13:19 24 Feb 10

I have changed my broadband and have been left with 3 filters, the usual cables and an "ADSL 2+ modem".Is it usual for the providers not to reclaim the old gear? If so I would like to use it to add a wired computer to my new WiFi setup, in a part of the house with poor reception. I would be using a different telephone socket. Is it possible and practicable? If so how to set up the router to my new provider's details.
Glen

retep888 14:07 24 Feb 10

<<If so I would like to use it to add a wired computer to my new WiFi setup, in a part of the house with poor reception.>>

That's not the correct way to do it and it won't work.

You can either get a pair of homeplugs click here (1 has to be plugged into the router's LAN ports) or a wireless extender click here ,either device can work with your wireless router to provide signal to your PC/Laptop.

Glen 15:20 25 Feb 10

Thanks for the help. I set up the old modem and found Marg7 was right. One piece of equipment (either the wireless router or the old ADSL modem) has to be completely switched off. Thanks Retep888 for your advice re homeplugs and range extenders. I am working on it.
Glen

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…