o2 Broadband problems

tobyjug2007 17:06 18 Sep 08

having just subscribed to o2 broadband, up to 16 MB Download speed, plus had a new BT Cable for my phone and broadband, i'm having problems, i dont like wireless routers, but as my Landlady doesn't want my PC in her living room, i'm using a 10 Metre.telephone extention Lead, could that be the reason i'm very lucky indeed if i can get Half a Mb download speed, anyone else had any problems with o2 broadband, i even have problems opening Internet Explorer 7? XP Home Service Pack 2 OS...i have a desktop computer, would it be better to run it wirelessly, any help, advice, suggestions would be very welcome, i feel like a hammer through the tower may be an option, its so very frustrating!!!

thanks in advance

MarvintheAndroid 00:32 19 Sep 08

You could try putting the router downstairs close to the phone socket and connected with a short cable, and then use a long ethernet cable (CAT5) to connect to your PC. You may get less noise on the line that way.

Marv

Dragon_Heart 01:31 19 Sep 08

I agree with MarvintheAndroid.

The first question is :-

Have you fitted the filters supplied with the O2 kit and do they cover ALL the phones used on that line including extensions ?

Telephone cables are very poor at carrying 'clean' / fast broadband information so the ethernet cable for about £6 is a good idea.

Why have you not tried it via wireless ?

One final note .... if after all this you may only be able to get less than 1 Mb on that line.

Got anyone in the same building or street who has got broadband via phone line ? What's their speeds like ? Is anyone else using your line for broadband ?

tobyjug2007 01:58 19 Sep 08

I have a filter on the phone socket, and could you advise the maximum length of ethernet cable available to purchase, and where could i buy one, as for wireless i have tried that and it makes no difference, signal is always low?
I dont know anyone local to me who has internet access who i could compare mine with

Many thanks for your combined answers, still very frustrated :-(

thanks in advance of anymore suggestions ( Ps the BT line was a new installation only last week)

Dragon_Heart 02:10 19 Sep 08

Check your local PC shops. You can get 'off the shelf' ethernet cables up to about 50m.

I have used these in the past click here

OR

Try Maplins click here They have a 10m cable for £12.99

Pine Man 15:02 19 Sep 08

Don't forget that o2 have a free helpline. It's based in the UK and they are very quick to answer and excellent with their advice.

Dragon_Heart 00:21 20 Sep 08

Yes it is VERY good, I would not have taken out O2 if the helpline was NOT UK based.

The McAfee Virtual Technician ( O2 comes with the McAfee Security Centre ) is also very good but is not UK based but as there is no actual verbal communication it's not a problem.

O2 also has a diagnostic system built in the help sort out problems .... have you tried that ?

Gandalf 13:36 23 Sep 08

Also dont forget distance from exchange also affects speed, the further away you are the less speed you will get.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…