O2 Broadband problem - no web pages

Audio~~Chip 14:22 03 Aug 09

Hello
This as started to get worse over the last few weeks yesterday was very bad.

I had called O2 and also at this end see my O2 router with full green DSL. O2 also stated my ADSL is working fine and the problem is at my machine end.

One thing the Tech guy at o2 end noticed after asking me to go into WinXP Pro services was to check DHCP Client was Running & also DNS Client was running.

I found that DNS Client was not running and stopped! so with help from O2 I made this Endabled and to run Automatic. Refreshed the DNS and got online.

I later went for deeper look into these setting and found in the properties dialogue window of DNS Client under the "Log On" has a Username & Pasword typed in which was dotted out apart from NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService

I was conerned to see a username & Pasword had been put in as I am connected by Ethernet/Lan cable and its just Plug n play with no need for a dial in connection I am thinking someone has hacked my internet connection.

As well as this above, If someone can help to stop my web pages going to no page can be displayed error is their anything else I can check to stop this. I have been fine for 14 months untill last week.

I use Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 and everything is ok in programme rules as far as I am aware.

So any help to make my connection stable please

donki 14:41 03 Aug 09

All internet will require a username and password doesn't matter that you use ethernet. I take it you use the box provided with O2, it has the user name and password already set into it. If you were to change to a different modem/router you would need to contact O2 in order to get your user name and password.

Check under the tools tab on Windows Explorer and click on options then rest them in there that solved my page not being loaded.

Audio~~Chip 14:56 03 Aug 09

sorry I didn't understand that "Check under the tools tab on Windows Explorer and click on options then rest them in there that solved my page not being loaded."

Internet Explorer v7 options ok then you said "then rest them in there that solved my page been loaded"

Can you explain please

brundle 16:52 03 Aug 09

DNS Client service itself isn't essential and the logon box you see is for the system only - nothing to do with your internet access. Check any of the other services and you'll see the same box - services use built-in "service accounts" to run, it's these details you're looking at. Don't change anything.

Reset Internet Explorer settings (if IE is your default browser); click here

If you use other browsers, do you get the same problem? Can you still access email via a client such as Outlook/Outlook Express/Thunderbird when pages stop being displayed?

Audio~~Chip 18:28 03 Aug 09

It also stops and times out Outlook Express, I dont have Firefox, Safari or Chrome, I use Internet Explorer v7.

So what ever the problem is when it happens effects web pages not displaying, Unable to get my outlook express emails and also noticed my kaspersky not updating.

All has been ok this afternoon since posting at 14:22pm strange. Wonder if it was a glitch at O2 end or exchange work and its not resolved?

Audio~~Chip 16:31 08 Aug 09

I can now confirm this problem seems to have just fixed itself, very strange I still think it was Local Exchange problem possibly with maint or maybe flooding of water and storms at that time.

I like to thank donki & brundle for you help ! many thanks

until next time.

KremmenUK 13:02 12 Aug 09

Sometimes this can happen if one of the 'hops' gets disabled within the routing.

I'm also with O2 but I switched to OpenDNS and I have never had any problems, plus I think it's a little faster than the O2 servers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…