o please help! I in big trub! Lost windows!!

wots it all about 22:18 20 Oct 05

Where to start....
My pc refused to start in safe mode, apparently due to a previous infection with vnundo (?). I wanted to complete all the scans in safe mode, so a friend suggested I edit the boot.ini (via msconfig) to safeboot. This I did, and then the pc wouldnt start at all, it got to the logo and just kept rebooting. wouldnt let me into safe mode, last known config or normal, nothing just kept rebooting. So, I tried lots of things and finally decided to reinstall windows keeping the original settings etc. But, at a certain point in the set up it said that windows cant install in safe mode....and wont continue. Oh dear. So, thinking cap on, and I thought well I'll install it in a different folder, so I chose "desktop" (losing the will to live by now) and lo and behold setup continued and I now have windows back, but where is my original ??? I didnt format, or overwrite, so it has to be here! I get a choice of OS when it boots, and if I choose the original one, I get the cant install in safe mode etc message. How can I get to the boot.ini to change it back to default? I Cant choose command prompt either. I am fed up!
Any help would be so great!!

wots it all about 22:37 20 Oct 05

ha ha! Found the folder! Now, how can I replace the new windows....

Skills 01:27 21 Oct 05

What OS are we talking 98?

So you reinstalled windows to a folder on the desktop and now its booting to that but you want to fix the old installation.

You should just be able to use a boot disk and then run the installion from the cd and install windows over the top of your broken installation without losing any of your settings etc.

Then Id get rid of the other windows folder and any references to it at boot up.

wots it all about 09:47 21 Oct 05

No its xp....

"So you reinstalled windows to a folder on the desktop and now its booting to that but you want to fix the old installation. ".....yes i did this.

"You should just be able to use a boot disk and then run the installion from the cd and install windows over the top of your broken installation without losing any of your settings etc. "....
Well this is the prob, cos when I try to do this, the installation fails cos it says that windows cant install in safe mode! So,I need to change the settings of that installation to normal?
Thank you for help.

wots it all about 10:03 21 Oct 05

An update...

Now, when I choose to run the old windows at start up, it starts to load ok, and then I get to a page that asks for an administrator password...or one in my name.....I didnt specify one during install, have never had one, so wouldnt know what it may be.
Can I get past this, or should i try another reinstall? however it is still starting that version in safe mode, so I dont quite know how it got as far as asking for a password. Windows must have installed then, o I just dont know anymore

wots it all about 10:05 21 Oct 05

Am out for a bit, in case anyone has any ideas, so wont be able to check in. Thanks in advance and in sincere hope....

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:33 21 Oct 05

administrator password.

try just pressing enter

wots it all about 17:19 21 Oct 05

tried that, its says it needs one....

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:31 21 Oct 05

XP Password help
click here

Skills 18:22 21 Oct 05

Go into your BIOS and change the boot order to cd first if it isnt already and hard drive second.

Save changes and exit the BIOS with your XP disk in the tray. You should now get a message to boot from cd press any key do that and you should now see windows setup start.

Proceed as if you where going to do a fresh installation not the recovery console and then windows will detect your exsisting install and there will be an option to press r to repair do this. Windows will now repair that installion. You will probably get two windows installs listed so you'll have to work out which one is which.

Once you have repaired windows you'll need to get rid of the other install and any references to it in the boot up files etc.

wots it all about 19:51 21 Oct 05

Fruit Bat /\0/\ : Thank you for that ,but I cant get into the old windows which now somehow has a password, to get to a command prompt, unless I can do it before the box asking for the password comes up?

Skills : Thank you again, I had tried your suggestion, and as I say it seemed to load but now i am asked for the password! I can see all my old files via the new install,but I just want one Windows on my Pc!!!
Another question I was wondering about: Am I virus and spyware protected on this new install? I dont have anything in my system tray or prog files (obviously) but they are all still there in my old install. Oh what a mess.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…