NVRAM what is it? What does it do?

Skippy88 03:46 10 Jul 03

I have had to clear my NVRAM twice to rectify a problem. What is NVRAM and what does it do?

AndySD 04:11 10 Jul 03

Non-Volatile Random Access Memory, a type of memory that retains its contents when power is turned off. Normaly in association with a battery. Can you tell us the error massage and your harware and operating system please.

Skippy88 13:11 10 Jul 03

Hello AndySD thanks for the response.

I have a brand new Dell 8300 running XP Home. On two occassions I have rebooted to find my sound isn't working, there is a yellow exclamation mark in device manager next to 1394 Net Adapter and XP tells my I have an unknown PCI device that it can't find any drivers for. After contacting Dell they told me to clear my NVRAM which I have done and it fixes the problem. I just wondered what was causing this in the first place? I'd never heard of NVRAM and wondered what it was for? I will monitor things and see how often this problem repeats itself.

Tog 14:04 10 Jul 03

NVRAM usually refers to the BIOS. Exactly what did you do to clear it?

If the Dell is brand new then this sort of maintenance on your part is unacceptable. Get them to fix it properly.

Skippy88 21:26 12 Jul 03

Hello Tog, These are the instructions to clear my NVRAM as supplied by Dell.

To clear the NVRAM, perform the following steps:

Restart your computer.

At the first text on the screen or at the Dell logo, press the <F2> key every three seconds until the message Entering Setup appears.
The System Setup screen appears.

Press the <Caps Lock> key, the <Scroll Lock> key, and the <Num Lock> key to light up all three lights on the keyboard.

Press the <Alt> and <E> keys at the same time.
The system will emit a beep tone to indicate that NVRAM has been cleared.

Press the <Esc> key, and then press the <Enter> key to save the changes and reboot the system.

Tog 07:08 14 Jul 03

How times change, used to be the only way to clear BIOS (NVRAM) was with a jumper.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009