Nvram Update Ok-bootup sceeen?

So Afraid 08:58 06 Aug 08

Been having a problem with black screen at bootup,searches for analog/didital signal then nothing,this is not everytime but has just started to happen more often,its just happened again this time got half way through first bootscreen then back to analog/didital,i just left it and about 30 seconds later it started the firstboot screen again with the added line NVRAM UPDATE OK and went on to boot ok.its 12 months since i added new ram.

Gongoozler 09:28 06 Aug 08

Hi So Afraid. I can't give you a complete answer, but will make a couple f observations that might lead to a solution. First the analog/digital signal is generated by a digital monitor when it can't find a signal, and so searches for either an analogue or a digital source until it finds one. This means that during this message display your computer just isn't working.

NVRAM isn't the new RAM you installed. NVRAM is Non-Volatile RAM, i.e. it doesn't lose it's data when power is removed, whereas the RAM you installed does lose all it's data - i.e. it is volatile. Non Volatile RAM is the type your BIOS is written to, it's also used in various other parts of the computer.

I think that what might be happening is that something is causing the computer to start very slowly. This could be the PSU, motherboard or something else. The only way to find what it is might be to unplug everything from the motherboard except the PSU, processor, graphics card, memory and power switch to see if that speeds things up, and then add a component at a time until you find the culprit.

So Afraid 11:54 06 Aug 08

Thanks for reply.

So its the cdrom drive and dvdrw i will unplug,don`t have floopy drive or dedicated sound card or anything else i can think of.

So Afraid 11:58 06 Aug 08

Just forgot,i have a large fan on the side of the case,i will unplug that as well.

So Afraid 15:49 06 Aug 08

Done all that now,still searches for analog/digital with things unplugged,i have put things back as they were and it has booted up ok even if it does the a/d search.

I will wait until it plays up again and may think about a XP repair,also is there a chance it could be driver/software related.

Gongoozler 16:28 06 Aug 08

Hi So Afraid. The problem happens when you first switch on the computer and before Windows has loaded, so it isn't Windows or any other software that has the problem.

So Afraid 17:28 06 Aug 08

Thanks Gongoozler.

So its a hardware problem,one thing i may yet try is to start with 1 stick of memory and see if any problems show up,and try the other sticks 1 at a time.

Gongoozler 20:41 06 Aug 08

One thing you could try is to check that "Quick Power On Self Test" is enabled in BIOS. The Analog/Digital signal is normal, but it shouldn't last too long.

woodchip 20:50 06 Aug 08

This could be your PSU on the way out, If you have a spare I would try it. check that the Watts are more than the one in the comp

So Afraid 23:13 06 Aug 08

No spare PSU so hope thats not the problem.

Gongoozler 08:26 07 Aug 08

Fortunately a PSU can be one of the cheapest and easiest components to replace. The one I've been using for about 4 years cost me in the order of £10 from Ebuyer. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…