Nvidia Power Problem

poogles_uk 18:10 15 Sep 03

In a power window i have accessed from nVHard Page v1.52.0b, i get this:

The Nvidia System Sentinel is reporting that the nvidia powered graphics card is not recieving sufficient power.

To protect your hardware from potential damage or causing a potential system lockup, the graphics processor has lowered its performance to a level that allows continued safe operations.

When i click Troubleshoot i get:

To remedy the problem, ensure that your nvidia graphics card in your system has the supplemental power connector attached. This connection is required and your system may be damaged if it is not it place. Please refer to your owners manual for complete inspection instructions. Also, your powersupply must be able to supply ample power to power all of the attached peripherals in addition to this extra connection.

poogles_uk 18:11 15 Sep 03

I will post a pic if wanted.

My Graphics card is an XFX GeForce 4 Ti4200 APG8x 128mb DDR DVI TV-out VGA (click here) In the manual on a basic picture of it it shows 2 dual pin Fan ports, but on the card there is only 1 with the cooling fan on it (There was no power cable included, do other cards have this). I have a Soltek SL75-KAV Mobo, this is AGP 4x. My power supply is a 250 Watt, it has 14A on the 3.3v, 25a and the 5v, and 10a on the 12v. Its is a 250W Macase Switching Power supply, made by Zecks Enterprise Co. Ltd. Model ZKX-S25ATX. Could the low power be part of the reason why my old TNT2 seems to give the same quality of graphics?

On my comp i have:
2 Case Fans,1 CPU Cooling fan, Soltek SL-75KAV Mobo, 1.2ghz CPU, a Maxtor 40GB 7200rpm HD, a Quantam 4.2gb 5400rpm HD, A CD Writer and a cd reader, the above graphics card, a raid card, a network card, a modem, a pc system extractor fan, 512mb SDRam and a floppy drive. I think thats everyting.

Do i need a bigger PSU? As the Dual fan 350W Enermax EGP365p, seems reasonable from CCL for 41.45. 3.3V Rail - 32A, 5V Rail - 32A, 12V Rail 26A. Its a lot higher. The 450W version would be better still, with an extra 3, 3 and 7a on top. If i did get this PSU, would it still be ok with a An A7N8X-D with a XP Processor? What other PSU's would you reccomend?

citadel 18:51 15 Sep 03

ti4200's dont need their own power supply.

poogles_uk 19:16 15 Sep 03

Well, which cards do? and why does it say it does?

poogles_uk 19:18 15 Sep 03

A screenshot is click here

PSF 19:38 15 Sep 03

The new Ge Force FX cards and Radion cards need a separate power supply to run.

The problem you are reporting is a feature for the FX graphics cards. If the power supply is not adequate for the card to run at full power the drivers will throttle down the power to stop the system being overloaded.

Are you using the new Beta 5.00 Detonator drivers.
If you are it might be an idea to revert back to the older drivers.

Chegs ® 20:21 15 Sep 03

I wouldn't try running that kind of hardware on a PSU of only 250Watts,I am very surprised it works at all.I had a 400Watt quit shortly after installing a Ti4600,and it continued to kill PSU's every few months,I eventually sourced a 550Watt,but it was a "cheapie" and died after 6 months.I now have a "branded" warranted 550Watt PSU,and (touch wood) it won't give any grief for a reasonable length(over 12 months?) of time.It doesn't (GC) have a separate power input socket(I thought it did,so just had a look)

poogles_uk 19:29 16 Sep 03

So a 350 watt is probably too small?

What would you suggest and where from?

froggg 20:43 16 Sep 03

Antec true power-e-buyer,get the biggest one you can afford.Power supply is probably more important than anything else in your case.DONT get a cheap one-of any size!

poogles_uk 15:26 17 Sep 03

Is the click here any good? it is a 400W PSU with a good review.

Is it better or worse than the antec? Does anyone know the rail powers? for the antec and the vantec.

The 550W is expensive, though

poogles_uk 19:17 17 Sep 03

Well?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…