NVIDIA : Is it worth the hassle?

Housten 15:26 24 Jan 14

Good Afternoon, Gentlemen

Some time ago I had some severe problems with an Nvidia update on my 7 year old dual core machine now running Windows 7 64Bit Home Office Premium.

Now they are at it again and suggesting the new update - Nvidia GeForce 332.21 - is what I should be using. Between these two events I asked on here if I should install the update and I was given the advice 'if it ain't broken, why fix it?'. Do you Gentlemen still adhere to that strategy, or should I take the chance and install the update?

All advice will be very gratefully received.

many, many thanks to everyone who replies.

Graphicool1 16:25 24 Jan 14

I have Windows 7 64 bit and have just installed the latest driver. No trouble with that at all. I wish I could say the same for the rest of my System though...CLICK HERE

The view for some was that the problems I have was probably with the GPU and because like you I've had much trouble from Nvidia in the past, I was inclined to agree. But it's not their fault this time. I removed it and its driver and all its hangers on. Rebooted, no improvement. Where PC's are concerned nothing's ever easy, is it?

lotvic 17:04 24 Jan 14

"if it's not broken don't fix it"

I have a similar system (7 year old dual core machine with Nvidia GeForce) I've just looked at the download page for Nvidia GeForce 332.21 ClickHere and it tells you about the 'new' features the new driver supplies.

For ref: Housten's previous thread last April

Graphicool1 17:19 24 Jan 14

I should add that when I installed, it gives you the choice what items to install and what not. To do this you should click on 'Custom'.

I in fact chose not to instal the 'HD Audio driver', because I already have 'Creative Labs SBZ Sound Card'. So when I play MMO's, I noted that the sound was a tad jumbly, a conflict of interests, I think.

Mr Mistoffelees 20:29 24 Jan 14

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, is a healthy mantra to adhere to when it comes to BIOS updates, otherwise I keep device drivers up to date. Where Nvidia graphics drivers are concerned, I only take WHQL (Windows Hardware Quality Labs) certified drivers.

Housten 17:06 25 Jan 14

Good Afternoon, Gentlemen,

Firstly many thanks for your all replies. I am going to have to consider the implications of what has been written, as I am still not sure.

Just a small whinge - I haven't been back on the site sooner because I have had no emails informing me of any replies. Does the site still send these out?

Once again many thanks to all of you.

Ian in Northampton 18:57 25 Jan 14

Housten: some times. Sometimes not. It depends on the weather... :-)

rdave13 19:05 25 Jan 14

If you're not a gamer then leave well alone. Make sure Windows update doesn't update it automatically as it will given half the chance. As for email notifications, some I get, some (most) I don't. Ian in Northampton sums it up perfectly :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…