nvidia geforce4 mx420 upgrade

smeg918 22:55 28 Dec 06

Help!.. My son got a new game for christmas, when you press play it puts you back at the desktop.Pretty sure it's the card that's at fault!.What do I need to do to get this game to run, I know the system's getting on a bit so hoping I'll not need to replace to much,
Card details as follows: NVIDIA geforce4 mx420, bus type AGP, rate 4x, on board mem 64mb, bios version 4.17.00.44.20.
System details: AMD athlon(tm) xp2200+, 1.79Ghz, 256mb ram.
Hope this gives you something to go on. Not that tech minded, so some plain english would help !. Any help would do before my son cracks.

regards smeg

Totally-braindead 23:01 28 Dec 06

You've provided all the info needed but one. What game is it?

clayton 23:02 28 Dec 06

on the game box it should give you the minimum pc specification that the game requires.

smeg918 23:17 28 Dec 06

Hi, the game is Lord of the Rings, The Battle for Middle Marth. My system meets all the reqirements: Windows XP, 1.6 Ghz mb ram, 5.5gb HD, cd/dvd 8speed, 64mb card, directx 9.0. The game is not supported by this card, It mentions that it is supported by a nvidia geforce3 or greater also ati radeon 8500 or greater, Would these fit my system????

Totally-braindead 23:32 28 Dec 06

I haven't got this game myself and the crashing back to the desktop is definatly the graphics card. It depends on how far you want to take it.
The better newer cards need additional power from the power supply so you need to check the rating of you power supply (it should say on it).
I'm always a bit wary of minimum specs. In my experience if you hit the minimum specs in any area whatsoever the game will jerk so much its unplayable.
Bargain basement cards that should play it come in at about the £50 mark, click here this should do it and it doesn't need any extra power or if you fancy an ATI card something like a 9550 should do. I think perhaps you might consider some more RAM as well, it would make a huge difference as well.

smeg918 23:46 28 Dec 06

Cheers, I'll have a look into the cards and ram, If everything works out I'll let you's know. Again, Thanks for the advice.

If I hear the words "Is it working yet"

Regards Smeg918

Totally-braindead 23:50 28 Dec 06

Bear in mind about the power issue. If you buy a card and your power supply is 350 watts or less make sure it does not require an additional power connector. Otherwise you'll have to add on the cost of a new power supply as well.

Totally-braindead 12:16 29 Dec 06

Another thought as well. If you want memory go to Crucial as they guarantee it will work, they also do some graphics cards but remember about making sure you get one without an additional power connector. click here

smeg918 00:30 31 Dec 06

well, got hold of another card and more ram, the card is a nividia geforce5700v, The problem now seems to be the drivers !. The system will go into shut down, this can happen at anytime. ie as soon as you get the desktop, or after you play a game, or during. Or even when your doing something else. The only consistent is that it shuts down and restarts. I've replaced the original card and everything is back at square one.

Greengage 09:47 31 Dec 06

Try going here for latest drivers click here

keef66 10:33 31 Dec 06

Our pc sounds very similar to yours; 6 yrs old now, Athlon XP2100+. I increased the ram to 1gb and replaced the MX440 graphics card with a Geforce 6600, and the difference is unbelievable.

I didn't bother with the driver disk that came with the new graphics card, instead I downloaded the latest drivers from the Nvidia website.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…