NVidia 9600 graphics card

Colinxxx 18:42 22 Mar 08

My computer - Medion MS 7255 Intel Core 2 Duo

Windows Vista Home Premium.

I have fitted a NVidia 9600 GT graphics card and the computer downloaded and installed the 9600 graphic drivers.

The computer will not boot into windows. It starts off loads a few screens, and then NOTHING.

The only way that I can access my desktop is via Safe Mode. The standard vga graphic adapter is then loaded.

Can anyone help please?

Colinxxx

GaT7 18:54 22 Mar 08

Try uninstalling/rolling back the drivers, then manually downloading the latest from click here & installing these. G

Colinxxx 15:44 23 Mar 08

Crossbow7

No, I'm afraid that has'nt fixed the problem.

Colinxxx

GaT7 19:16 23 Mar 08

Have you connected power to it? Probably needs a standard 6pin PCI-E connector from the power supply. G

Colinxxx 09:29 24 Mar 08

Yes, it is connected OK - I just wondered if the PSU was up to the job - this is quite a powerful graphics card?

Colinxxx

GaT7 19:47 24 Mar 08

Yes, could be the low-wattage PSU. Quoted from one site: "The recommended minimum power supply for GeForce 9600 GT graphics cards is 400 watts with a +12V rating of 26 Amps for a single card".

Before buying one, can you borrow a more powerful one off a friend or something - needs to be a GOOD quality 400W or more.

If it still doesn't work, try connecting it with a 2x molex to PCI-E cable adaptor like this click here (you may have one already). Needs a powerful PSU though so best not trying it with yours! G

Colinxxx 09:58 30 Mar 08

Fitted a 500 watt CPU - and still nothing from the graphics card.

Getting a bit desperate now . . . . .

Colinxxx

thms 10:20 30 Mar 08

I also have recently fitted one of these to my vista premium machine and it went ok. Used the drivers supplied with the card.

Only problem I had was after installing sp1 the screen went all funny and had to re-boot.
I went to windows updates and found a driver for it there. Everything ok now.

thms 11:14 30 Mar 08

Another thing to watch for is I had to re-activate windows after installing. Wouldn't let me so had to phone microsoft to get re-activated.

Didn't have this problem with xp.

GaT7 14:41 30 Mar 08

Can you try the 9600GT in another suitable PC? If it doesn't work there either, you most probably have a faulty card. G

Colinxxx 15:11 30 Mar 08

I really envy you - I thought it was that easy

click here

This article convinced me that it was as easy as making a cup of tea - and just as quick.Some hope!

I have spent a large part of the last two weeks trying to get some life out of my graphics card.
I have loaded (and unloaded) drivers that came with the card, the latest drivers from the NVidia website - and yes Crossbow7, it has been tried on another computer, and works fine!

thms - was it really that simple? you fitted the card and drivers and that was that? Nothing else?

Colinxxx

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

New iOS 11 release date rumours UK | new features coming to Siri, FaceTime, Messages and Video