Numerous connection attempts Port 2048 ICMP

Shanks69 18:44 21 Aug 03

Only began last week but there now seem to be hundreds of connection attempts to this port every night. Knocked back by my firewall of course, anyone know of any virus worms targeting this port ??

NB - I'm on NTL and all attempts are coming from NTL addresses (all different ones though) - any idea if NTL are up to anything ??

BarryKeith 18:47 21 Aug 03

It may be that NTL are looking for spammers or something similar, I have had the same sort of thing happen on Blueyonder when they run scans.

Peverelli 18:52 21 Aug 03

It may be just a case of NTL checking that you're still online, in which case nothing to worry about.

Might have something to do with sobig.f virus though.

canard 19:04 21 Aug 03

If NTL IP addresses begin with 80.then I've been getting it too. 16 attempts per min quite often and non stop knocking on the door.There are also addresses which I understand are 99% spoof adresses used by would be intruders. It's been going on for a while so would be grateful to learn what's going on. It started before SobigF made its appearance and OS being Win98SE it can't be Lovesan.

canard 19:07 21 Aug 03

No idea which port is being bombarded though.

Shanks69 19:21 21 Aug 03

Outpost would tell you which ports were targetted if you had that as a firewall. Wouldnt think your OS would have any effects on the attempts, just their ability to succeed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…