number of problems - malware?

mcds01 09:11 26 Aug 04

Recently my dad has been having a number of problems on his pc. It first started when he tried to check his email and OE could not connect to the internet. After has a connection has been established it still refuses saying that no connection to the host can be reached. As well as that when on the interent and trying to sign in with MSN messenger a box appears saying "you or a program is to trying to conect to......." and asks if you want to connect to the interent or cancel. But the connection is already active. Clicking on cancel brings up a box saying MSN messenger cannot connect as you are not on the interent. Clicking on connect does nothing and it still refuses to connect. AS well as this the internet is dreadfully slow. so much so to the point that it is unusable sometimes. I have run Ad aware, spybot, A sqauared, norton and anti-trojan and removed anything they found. Did not fix the problem though. any ideas?

mcds01 09:22 26 Aug 04

forgot to mention that task manager will not appear. When I press Ctrl-Alt-Del it flashes up briefly but then dissa[ears again. The little green icon in the system tray however remains until I move the mouse over it then it dissapears also.

johnnyrocker 09:23 26 Aug 04

VoG II 09:24 26 Aug 04

Quite possibly a virus click here

mcds01 09:26 26 Aug 04

sorry shuold have mentioned - its XP Pro

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:07 26 Aug 04

Try a repair of IE

Type sfc /scannow in run box have XP CD in drive.

mcds01 14:20 26 Aug 04

no xo cd available in afraid - my dads not very organised and has misplaced it. we were looking for it before for something else.

mcds01 12:25 28 Aug 04

still no joy on this one guys. have run thru everything on the link VoG gave. any other suggestions?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…