Nuance's PDF Converter v5 and "Pdf Create Hook"

thegreypanther 20:35 09 May 08

This one is driving me mad!
I use Nuance's PDF Converter v5 for creating, editing, reading PDF files on my Windows Vista x64 PC. For the past couple of months it has proved to be a slendid program.
But then a couple of days ago some setting or other got changed on this PC, and every time I try and use PDF Converter I get the message "Pdf Create Hook application has stopped working..." and I can't get much further.
Does ANYBODY have any idea what this "Pdf Create Hook application" is, and how I can restore the system back to normal?
I have tried reinstalling Nuance's PDF Converter three times, and have done a couple of system restores on the PC.
But I remain up a gum tree, staring at a blank wall.

thegreypanther 09:17 10 May 08

Finally cracked it.
In Windows Vista, right-clicked "My Computer".
In "System Properties" - "Performance Options" - £Data Execeution Prevention" the box for "Turn on DEP for all programs..." had become ticked. By ticking the alternative box "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs..." everything is now back to normal.
If only one could understand why...

Mr Pointy 11:59 02 Jun 09

This problem has just occurred for me, after installing service pack 2 for Vista. I get the "pdfcreate hook application has stopped working" message on start up.

Unfortunately, the DEP is already on the setting you used to fix the problem, so I can only assume SP2 has changed something else - :o(

Although the program gives this message The PDF Create assistant does actually run! However, PDF Converter doesn't, so half the program (the one I use the the most) now appears to be useless - thanks for breaking it Microsoft!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…